What settings for the ET-73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
The UPS man just brought me my ET-73 I ordered when I got my WSM. It seems like a really cool gadget and cant wait till the next smoke to use it.

Question is what settings do you guys use for the min and max of the smoker temp?

And does anyone know of a comprehensive chart as to target temps for various meats and cuts, and at what temp to pull them to hit that target temp? If there isnt one Id be willing to compile a list with some imput from the board. I just think it would be a good tool for the newbie like myself.

I used 225 min and 250 max for some pork roasts and ribs we just made. Let me know how your ET-73 works. I am on my second one and I cannot get it to pick up the signal from the transmitter unless it is within a couple of feet; I am ready to send it back :-(

I just tested the range of the ET-73. Set where I normally have the smoker I get a continuous signal on the second floor across the house. I can do an overnight cook from the comfort of my warm bed. How cool is this.

A question on checking calibration...do you test the temp with boiling water or will this damage anything?

Jim, I use 225* low and 250* high when I'm targeting 235*. Boiling water, but just put the probe in the water and keep the wire dry.

Cheryl, it should have more range than that, I would send it back. I'm sure they will replace for you.

Bob

If you do a search you will find some other posts on this. Personally since my goal is to get good Q and still sleep through the night, I extend the range to what I consider needing immediate attention....so I go a farther range and have been very happy. Plus based on the way the WSM settles in so well, I go 215 low and 275 high. That's just me though, since the range is 225 - 250 a few degrees off that is not worth getting up for IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back