What say you?

Joe Zoots

TVWBB Super Fan
Happened to find a very nice Genny 1000 while out curb shopping a while back. Natural gas grill and the manifold has zero rust. My current grill runs propane and I was wondering if I could swap out the valves (not just the orifices) because it looks that nice.

Happened to find a very nice Genny 1000 while out curb shopping a while back. Natural gas grill and the manifold has zero rust. My current grill runs propane and I was wondering if I could swap out the valves (not just the orifices) because it looks that nice.
Why not just swap out the whole manifold?

I think he likes the fact that they NG manifold itself was in prime condition (no rust). THat being said, yes, you should be able to swap valves and orifices without a problem. If it was me, I wouldn't bother as the manifolds are thick and rust is likely to never be a problem for them. They are also hidden, so looks isn't much of an issue either. But, hey, if you want to, just make sure you seal the valves up with pipe dope when you swap them and then check them for leaks when you are done.

You are right to want to swap entire valves or manifolds. As I have written up sooooooo many times on this board the valves are different NOT JUST the orifices. Also if you do swap the valves make sure to use PTFE pipe dope made for gas use NOT TAPE. While tape may work after a fashion on those small NPT fittings the proper tape is too thick to properly get into those small threads. So dope is the way to go here.

Then do it Joe. You have the green light from the forum and Larry rubber stamped it. Some before and after pictures will be mandatory along with a brief synopsis of how it all went for you.

Joe,
I have a set of propane manifold valves that came off of a Genesis 1000 if you are interested in a trade. PM me.

Back