What...no water...no sand...19 hour butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yep, the last butt went for 19 hours. Cooked just fine. Today I cleaned my grill and WSM. Guess what, I removed the water bowl foil cover...there was NO SAND ! The previous cook had been chicken.

O.K. who cooks w/o water or sand? I am not convinced you need either. Just foil the empty bowl.

Steve,

At what temps did the butt cook at? Anything out of the ordinary on the cook? As the guy on LaughIn use to say...."very interesting!"

Steve, that's too funny.
icon_biggrin.gif

Didn't you think... Hey this feels a little light when you lifted the center section.?
icon_confused.gif

WSM shines again. Regardless of user.
icon_wink.gif

Wish you were going to be in Shelby tomorrow.

Bruce, the cook was normal temps for me. 220-240 for most of the cook. Perhaps, it did spike more than normal when I added some coals. All in all, I had no reason to suspect I screwed up.

Yea Chris, the middle section was a little light. I'll be interested to see if others have done the same.

Steve,

Did you feel that the stability of temps that is usually there was present or did they jump around and you felt you were adjusting vents more?

You might be able to name this the "Petrone Method"

Shawn-top grate only.
Bruce, I do not think ignorance qualifies as a 'method'.

Steve, thats how Jim Minion says he came up with the "Minion" method of firing the cooker. He got a WSM new one day right before a comp, didn't bother to read the book on how he was SUPPOSED to fire it according to Weber, and thus, a legend was born.. Time for a few of us to give this a try with something other than poultry, and just see where it gets us, eh?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, all I did was cover an empty pan with HD foil so it left a depression for the drippings.
So far it looks like no one else will own up to a similar mistake.

I have had a crazy idea for holding meat longer in a cooler. Why not heat a couple of bricks during a cook. When you pull the meat to foil and hold, add the bricks to the cooler....
Now with an empty pan, maybe a brick in there cover with foil. You have a heat sink - a mass and then a heat source to hold a butt a little longer in a cooler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So far it looks like no one else will own up to a similar mistake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Steve: You are probably just alone in posting...I haven't changed my sand since I first assembled my WSM. It is due but will wait for end of season (or New Years whichever).

As to the bricks...AB did something with heated bricks...they will create an oven (of sorts) I think and therefore, not really let meat rest. JMHO.

I have never used anything in my water pan except crumpled aluminum foil. I cook pork shoulders, butts as well as briskets around 220-225 degrees overnight using the BBQGuru. They come out of the WSM very tasty, moist, and definitely crowd pleasing. AFAIC, I don't need water or sand, but suum cuique.

Richard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
...Shawn-top grate only.
... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Based my recent experience with the meatloaves I can see empty water pan working with the top grate where the pan is deflecting direct heat, but I think if something is cooked on the bottom grate for 18 hours over an empty water pan it would end up very crusty at least if not downright burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back