What meat goes well with wine barrel smoke?

Pete Z

TVWBB Super Fan
I have some of these wine barrel chunks from the Steve Raichlin collection. It seems like I saw them used in the brisket recipe here on the website and was wondering if anybody else has a good flavor combo for using these chunks. Thanks.

Try it with lamb with a garlic-herb paste rub or with chuck rubbed with quatre-épices, a four-spice blend. Here's a recipe for the blend and an approach using a wine-sherry-balsamic reduction and sliced onions that are added to the foil or foil pan after the chuck has smoked a while and you're at the foil stage. I think that smoke would work well with the spice blend, reduction, onions and the beef.

Let us know how it goes, Pete.

As noted in the linked thread, the chuck and onions will release lots of liquid. Be generous with the foil when foiling or, much easier, use a foil pan tightly covered with foil.

I finished the chuck roast with some amount of success, I would say. I have never prepared a piece of beef with a rub like Kevin's suggestion, so it definitely broadened my experience. The meat was very moist. I used a disposable pan - using just foil would be courting disaster.

I cooked a brisket at the same time and it also turned out great. I made the Struttin' sauce from Smoke and Spice - it was good, but it needs some tweaking before it is as good as I want it.

Back