What kind of BBQ is popular in your area?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm basically looking for new ideas, also curious about regional differences. For example someone had a picture of finished brisket and it was sliced a lot thicker than we do here in Dallas, TX. So I was wondering what people eat in their area, how it's prepared, how it's served, etc.

So pitch in and share what you eat in your area!

**BBQ info for Dallas, TX**

The most popular here by far is brisket, dry rubbed and sliced thin with sauce on the side only if you request it. The sauce is warm at most restaurants. One of the best Q places in Central Texas (Krause) doesn't even have sauce at all, and they'll look at you like you insulted them if you ask for it since good Q is supposed to not need sauce at all, at least to them. Brisket is so popular that if you go to a Q restaurant and say "I'd like a sandwich" they'll reply "sliced or chopped?" meaning beef brisket; it's assumed you asked for beef. Chopped beef with sauce on a bun and pickles and onions on the side could easily be the official state sandwich if there were such a category. Many places simmer the chopped beef directly in the sauce in a crock pot or likewise to let the flavors comingle, then ladle it on the bun for serving - kind of a BBQ Sloppy Joe. That's my favorite way to eat the sandwich.

A popular yet possibly unusual to the rest of you item in older neighborhoods here is the rib sandwich, which is loin ribs chopped in half served open face on Texas toast (thick white bread cooked on flat top grill with butter) with sauce. You're expected to bite around the bones.

Pulled pork is NOT something popular around here. Many people have never heard of it, real shame. Likewise spareribs are not common at Q restaurants but are commonly served in some homes, usually as a roast from an oven drowning in sweet Q sauce. Tri-tip is another dish that's foreign here, another real shame.

"Backyard BBQ" to most amateurs here means grilling, with things like chicken pieces covered in commercial Q sauce as they cook. A grill, whether gas or charcoal, is actually called "a barbecue" here as in "I'm gonna toss some steaks on the barbecue, how you like your cooked?" By the way "steak" to some folks here means T-bone.

Dr. Pepper or iced tea is the usual beverage for BBQ. Beer is also huge here, especially Miller Lite.

(P.S. - Texas likes to claim birthrights to chili, and chili most definitely doesn't ever have beans. Tomatoes are also cheating. If you put beans and tomatoes into a pot of meat with chillis and simmer it with spices you could well make a tasty stew, but it sure ain't chili.)

Jason
I know that lot of Clod is cooked in Texas in place of brisket, but in a lot of ways it can be a better choice for a BBQ joint.

In the Pacific NW the the range of BBQ is quite large, brisket, butt, ribs, chicken and fish. As for saucing it's a full range of options, but great Q joints are not really avialable.
Jim

Clod! I just did a search to learn about this cut I never heard of before, and now I know why "brisket" sometimes looks and tastes different.

Well, up north people think that bbq is stuff that's in a crock pot or covered in sauce. That's just the way it is. Ribs are boiled, brisket is cooked in the oven (if you can find brisket), and pork shoulder is cut into steaks. BTW, I've never had Texas chili but if you don't have beans in it and there is no tomatoe of any kind in it then what do you put in the chili? I just made some brisket chili last week and it was pretty good. Gonna make some chili tonight with pulled pork.

Chili was invented by ranch cooks as a way to serve bad meat. It's meat, water, chilis (as in chili peppers) and seasonings with the main seasoning being cumin. Sometimes the chilis will be crushed dried and/or powdered chili and that helps form a sauce to hold it all together, similar to a roux or file powder you'd see in gumbo.

Ever had the canned chili without beans like they put on hot dogs? Imagine that, except a million times better. That's Texas chili also simply called "red" due to color from the peppers. delicious served with white onions and cheese as garnish and saltine crackers.

Jason, I cut my teeth on Ott's BBQ. It was 1 mile from I-75/I-40 just west of Knoxville,TN. If I remember correctly, there were all of two tables and about six stools. Plain white buns with chopped pork-NO slaw, warmed on a hot plate. They had a terrific vinegar sauce similar to Eastern NC vinegar sauce. Sandwitches came hot or mild. To this day I do not believe there is better BBQ than the original OTT's.

Since moving to Charlotte, I have learned a little about NC Q. Simply called "pulled pork", whole hog, shoulder or butt is Q. The debate about sauce is well documented. Eastern NC is vinegar and pepper (red and black). Move to the famed Lexington area and add a dab of tomatoe to the mix. Western NC is supposed to be the tomatoe based variety.

Tonight we honored the Lexington tradition with our shoulder I served my version of Lexington to which I like to add a T of worchestershire to the tradional sauce.

I just smiled when my wife said she wasn't going to eat that....she ended up cleanning out the last of the Q warmed in the cast iron skillet.

Many thanks to everyone who convinced me the WSM was THE way and the info here is great. Now lets hear your story.

Steve,
I too, thought Ott's was one of the best I've ever eaten. I live off I-75 north of town and it was about 30 mi. from me. If you liked Otts, try J. I. Baldwin & Son if you're ever close to Springfield, TN - about the same, but I like it better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] Jason
I know that lot of Clod is cooked in Texas in place of brisket, but in a lot of ways it can be a better choice for a BBQ joint.

In the Pacific NW the the range of BBQ is quite large, brisket, butt, ribs, chicken and fish. As for saucing it's a full range of options, but great Q joints are not really avialable.
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>just curious...how does clod compare to chuck roll?

and I agree it's hard finding a good Q joint around here...wnet to one in Bellevue last month (and it wasn't 'The Man') and the sauce was great but the brisket tasted like it hadn't ever been near any smoke in its life

Jason, I live im Flower Mound...just north of D/FW. Have you made it over to the Railhead on 121 just west of D/FW? If not.......get in your car right now and go. Get the ribs or the brisket...heck, get both. They also have great links. Oh, and they just started serving great chili!

Thanks, Jim - nice to "meet" you! Once I get a handle on this smoker I'm going to attempt to arrange a meet of all the DFW people. I've done that with various other Internet forums I belong to (various cars, home theater, special interest) and it's always been a blast.

I occasionally have car repair clinics at my house and serbed homemade ribs at one about 2 years ago and the ribs are still mentioned on ocacsion over at teh BMW forum! I don't even have that car anymore but have made friends from the forum.

You up for a get together sometime?

I can't speak for all Memphians but dry ribs and pulled pork with slaw are definately the top menu items at some of my favorite places. Its kind of strange going to a different part of the country and a restraunt doesn't have pulled or chopped pork. I lived in KC for a couple of years and I was pressed to find any pulled pork up there. Mainly sliced beef. My biggest pet peeve is not getting cole slaw on my pork sandwich. To me its just a forgone conclusion to put slaw on your pork sandwich.

Charles-when did OTT's start slipping? Last time I ate there convinced me to stay in town and eat at Buddy's.

Brad-Leonards was good and cheap when I was in school in the 80's. Is it still around?

Steve,
I had heard they've gone out of business and when I just now called, I got a "number disconnected" message. What a shame. Now we're stuck with Calhoun's or Buddy's. Damn poor choice.

I live in Lake Highlands, quarter mile northeast of White Rock Lake. That's northeast Dallas right off Northwest Highway and Audelia.

Jason, I'll have to second Jim's suggestion about Railhead on 121...I would also highly recommend the chopped beef.

Bit of a trek but suppose I could use it as an excuse to do a courtesy call to a client out there. Mmm, BBQ...

San Diego has no clue on what BBQ is. That is why I make my own with the WSM. One of these days I will have to get to the hotspots of BBQ like Memphis, KC, and NC and see if their restaurant Q is as good as my homemade stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back