What era is this Weber?

Marty Owens

TVWBB Fan
Since joining I found the "Determining the Age of your Weber" page and found out the Smokey Joe I purchased for $15 new in box at a rummage sale about 10 years ago is a 1991 model and the 22.5" kettle my wife picked up used for $25 4 years ago is a 2009 model; but I can't find any markings to indicate what the other used kettle we purchased used for $20 years ago is. I am assuming it would be pre 1979 then, here are a few pics hoping other knowledgeable Weber kettle members may be able to help.

-----

-----

I haven't used this kettle since we purchased it, it was taken apart and stored in our shed... so I just did a quick assembly for the pictures. Notice the metal handles on the sides of the kettle and then the plastic piece on the lid for inserting a thermometer, I am thinking the thermo deal is aftermarket?

Looks just like the red-head I grabbed yesterday. Does the air vent on the lid say BARBQ KETTLE??

I have the metal handles on the bottom part of the kettle as well. The thermo is a mod. I think it is safe to assume it is from the '70s before 1979!!

Looks just like the red-head I grabbed yesterday. Does the air vent on the lid say BARBQ KETTLE?? I have the metal handles on the bottom part of the kettle as well. The thermo is a mod. I think it is safe to assume it is from the '70s before 1979!!

No it does not read that Scott, the one pic of the air vent is off the lid. I was pretty sure it was pre'79; to bad they didn't start year identification earlier...

Assuming everything on this kettle is original. (Minus the therm holder) it looks like it's from between 1976-1978. The non embossed "WEBER" lid vent should be the final pre date code style. I know that the wheel style was in place by 1977 maybe 1976. The bottom vents have the wider tabs on them (another late 70s update) The style of the ash catcher is still the flat edge twist disc. Weber didnt go to the rolled edged twist disc until 1979 at least. The metal bowl handles didnt go away until 1981. Great looking kettle!

Last edited:

Back