What else would you buy..

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

if you were going to purchase a new WSM? What are the have-to-haves and the would-like-to -haves? I smoke alot of ribs and butts/shoulders. I smoke mostly for my family of 4 and family parties with upwards of 20 people.

Thanks
Steven

Welcome to the family Steve. Can we call you Steve?
I'll add a few and let others put their $.02 in.
Dome thermometer and internal meat thermometer, Weber chimney starter, good pair of gloves, and a big enough food safe container for brining.
Thermometers need not be "one size fits all" units. Mount one permanently in the dome and get a 2nd poke it and read it type. "Weber" chimney starter only. Brining container "Must" be food safe, large enough to hold the meat and fit in the fridge at the same time, or a cooler with enough ice to keep it in the 35 deg range for the duration of the soak. Lot's of opinions on gloves out there, just make sure you don't get burned. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Next /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The things you can buy for BBQ'n are endless (just ask my wife). A couple of things you might consider are (in addition to what Bob suggested): welding gloves for handling hot metal parts, neoprene type gloves for handling hot food; a rib rack; some disposable steam table pans (for seasoning meat in and pulling pork in); a roll of heavy duty foil from Costco; some different types of wood chunks to play around with; a metal pail for putting ashes in; some long tongs; some Forschner knives (OK, let's stop here).

Thanks everyone!!! I am ordering my WSM tonight along with most of your suggestions. I am looking forward to a great meal this weekend coming up. I think I am going to try a couple of pork butts first.

Regards
Steven

Go to your local restaurant supply house or Central Restaurant Supply on the web and order a Dexter International or Dexter Russell Cake Turner. My #1 Favorite Tool /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Let me add a suggestion to the dome thermometer. Spend the extra few bucks and get one that you can calibrate. They generally have a small screw on the back of the thermometer housing. The quality of the thermometer is generally higher and you can periodically take it off and recalibrate it. I made the mistake of buying one from New Braunfels that didn't have the calibration screw. I finally got fed up with it's temperature readings and so when I tested it the other day it was 80 degrees off!

Off it came and on went a $40 Ashcroft I picked up at Grainger.

Ed

Steve,

I concur with Ed Jones, the MVP for your smoker is the thermometer which you'll attach to the lid.

I have an 3" Ashcroft which has been super. I highly recommend one.

Honorable mention to the MVP is, the Polder digital thermomter. Another must have.

Good luck! -Albert

I plan on investing in a better thermometer to use in a dome vent. "Friends don't drill holes in friends" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Any suggestions on how to hold it in place in the vent. I've used the clip on my candy thermometer to hold it in the vent, but don't know if the larger diameter stem on the new one will fit. I've read Chris's section on mounting the thermometer but would welcome advise from someone who uses this method now. For me, simpler is better.

Thanks,

Paul

If you don't want to drill, and you have a thin-stemmed, 6" or longer thermometer that you trust, consider the mod offered by Don Hilliard (Middle Cooking Section Thermometer Insert) on the More Thermometer Installations page. I like it because it doesn't block the vent, it can't accidentally touch the meat, and you are measuring at the grate rather than extrapolating from the dome temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back