What direction to go ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Johnson

Have an old ss performer that is getting tired and do not know whether to buy a new one or work on the old one. Also thinking of complimenting the grill situation with a gas grill. What are others doing ???

Bob J

With respect to your first question, I suppose much depends on just what you mean by "tired." My Performer is 19 years old, and nowhere near ready for retirement.

As to the second, I own a gas grill, and will replace it when the time comes. Can't be beat for convenience.

overhaul the performer. i'm still looking for a ss model. as to gas, what are you looking to do ? might wanna consider a q model.

yea, i'm getting fustrated. the ones around here are just out of reach.
icon_mad.gif

In checking out gasers, when did they all get so expensive !!!! Should I stick with webber or go with another???? Want to do rotisserie. Is gas better.....not ??????

Bob J

Robert - I had a Char-Broil Commercial gasser for about 5 years and a series of lesser gassers for years before that. I made the switch to using charcoal most all of the time a few years ago but kept a couple of gassers around. I still have the Char-Broil but haven't used it in over a year. I have a Weber Genesis Silver B and a Weber Q220. The Genesis was purchased off Craigslist and spruced up a little bit. The Q220 was a eBay purchase from Ace Hardware Closeouts.

Based on my gas grill experiences, stick with the Webers and look for a used on on CL or classifieds. Weber support is fantastic. To be fair, I rebuilt the Char-Broil and the support there was excellent as well. They replaced the brass burners under warranty because there was a plug in the end of the burner that burned out, and they were quick with the other parts I ordered. It's a good grill and it's my largest grill, so I keep it around, but it doesn't heat up as fast or as hot as the Weber Genesis. Of the three gas grills that I have, my favorite is the Q220. I use it about once a week to grill when I get in from work.

As far as the SS Performer is concerned, definitely rebuild. It's not expensive to do so - new grates, one touch system, even the ash catcher can be updated (maybe with a little mod if you need a new ash catcher holder ring or the bar that holds it - those old models are getting hard to find even at Weber). So long as the lid and bowl aren't rusted out, you should be good for another 5 - 10 years or so!

If you don't want to rebuild it,ship it to George! He knows what to do with it!

Good Grillin'

Pat

Hey Robert! ....sounds like you're on the fence
icon_smile.gif
Here's what I'd do ...get the new performer, sounds like ya want to anyway!
icon_biggrin.gif
"Will" the old performer to friends or family or give someone a lucky Craigs list score!
icon_wink.gif
.... Get the Q300 gasser ($330 Amazon), or one of the Q100-200($139-169) portables if you're a mobile dude ...the Qs are a great value in gassers and you can't beat the sear marks they put on meat
icon_cool.gif

Get a Cajun Bandit for your Performer.

Buy an old gasser off Craigslist for under $100... Just make sure it has nice grates and flavorizers with even flame.

After that, if you are bored, buy another performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back