What can I cook with a brisket on the bottom rack??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing a 11 pound brisket on the bottom rack at the end of the week ann wanted to cook something else to eat while I wait on the Brisket. Anybody have any suggestions? Also what is the best wood for brisket? Thanks

The standard answer would be pork butt over brisket-- let the butt do the basting for you. But you want to eat something before the brisket is done. I'd have to say "anything but poultry", as there is a food safety concern about poultry juices dripping on other meat. How about ribs, or some brats or gourmet sausages?

hey doug..nothing related to this topic however i never knew wwhat the heck your quote ment..until there was a post the other day about interesting signitures and someone wrote what it meant.....I cook, therefore i am.....very very nice...good one....until next time
keep Qin

Steve, an 11 lber is going to take awhile.I'm with Doug, bratts or sausage.(mmmmmmmmmmmmm pork fat).
icon_rolleyes.gif
Or ribs (so expensive right now)
icon_frown.gif

I agree with Doug's comment about poultry juices. However, if you have your heart set on chicken you can always get one of the stands they sell to hold a beer can chicken. Then set the stand with chicken in an aluminum pie pan or something like that to catch the drippings from the chicken. Now you have some chicken to go with the ribs and brats.

"we're burning daylight"....John Wayne

Typically I'd do pork shoulder over brisket, but if you want something fast (1.5-2 hours) I'd say try a pre-packaged/marinated pork tenderloin or 5...those are tasty!

Steve

You're going to be cooking your brisket around 250 so you need soething that's compatible with that temp However, you want something that will finish faster than the brisket for an earlier meal. With an ll lb brisket you must be planning an overnight cook and are looking for something you can have ready for lunch on day 2 ? My though would be BB ribs which you could start that morning and would be done in 4 to 5 hrs. You'll probably have to add extra fuel in the a.m. because of the new meat and be prepared to adjust your vents because you have a new cold heat sink that will take up some energy.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
The standard answer would be pork butt over brisket-- let the butt do the basting for you. But you want to eat something before the brisket is done. I'd have to say "anything but poultry", as there is a food safety concern about poultry juices dripping on other meat. How about ribs, or some brats or gourmet sausages? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really think poultry juices would be dangerous? I don't. The juice will quickly hit 160 and any germs will die promptly.

I sure do. If you know anything about food poisoning, you know that it's not the bacteria themselves that harm you, but their waste products-- known as endotoxins-- that are the problem. And no amount of cooking will neutralize the endotoxins. Where poultry juices dripping on other meats come into the picture is when the possibility exists that the food being dripped on might be removed from the heat before the bacteria are killed, and they might be free to produce endotoxins, subsequently, during storage and handling (or mis-handling). More thoughts about this here.

TomKatt,

Poultry on top may fall into the category of concerns that have grown to mythic proportions. A community paranoia, if you will. The only thing I know with certainty on the subject is that I don't want to be the one to test it.

Myth or not, the best way to tempt fate is to cook poultry over other meats in the low & slow environment, where its potential to spend more than the recommended time in the danger zone is maximized. What you feed your own family is your responsibility; what you recommend in a public forum is another matter altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back