What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Brown

I've got six slabs of BRITU on the bullet right now. After I fired the cooker and put the meat on it cooked right at 225 for three hours. I have been trying to get the temp up to around 250-275 for the finishing but I can't seem to get it up there. I have all the vents wide open, I have even opened the door and let the coals heat up to where they are glowing. But once I close the door the coals dampen down and I can't seem to get the temp over 245. The weather conditions are around 50F and raining, although the cooker is under cover. I've never had this much trouble getting the temps up. Thanks for your help.

My advice would be not to worry about it too much. If you knock some of the ash down from your coals (gently), that should help you get the temp up some. However, in my (limited) experience you won't experience any signifigant drop in the quality of your meat by finishing at around 245*.
Sounds like some good food is on the way /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tend to have the same "problem" of not being able to goose my WSM at the end as well. I have also never been dissappointed with the results. All things considered, if there is nothing you can do to get your temps out of the 225 range, I'd consider that a blessing in disguise.

Perhaps lighting a half chimney of coals and getting them REALLY hot would help.

Nate,

I had the same problem cooking here in MA early April. Rain and cool temps. Stir the coals a little bit and just have more patience. 50 degree days just make the cook a bit longer at lower temps.

When faced with a "too cool" dilemma like that, which I did this weekend (even with the BBQ Guru), I had to add a half chimney of lit coals...that fixed it right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back