Weeknight cook. Not enough time to get to temp!

Rick M.

TVWBB Member
Hello everybody,

So here is the situation: I was trying to do an overnight cook on a "School Night" to bring on a camping trip for the weekend. (Can't haul a WSM in my little car full of Camping gear.)

I awoke this morning before work and internal temp had dropped from 150 (at 2:00am) to 140. Cooker was at 230 and dropped to 200 by morning.

So I double foiled it at 6am and opened the vents to try and get the temp higher. This might have helped if I had 2-3 hours but I have bills to pay and had to get to work, so it only got about 1 hour of higher heat; that's wishful thinking because the cooker had to come up to temp first.

I put the foiled butt in a pan and covered it again with foil and put it in the fridge.

So my dilemma is this: Now what?
Back on the smoker for 12 hours to get a partially cooked butt up to temp or keep it foiled and finish in oven tonight?
Wife would not let me put it in the oven while we weren't home and I did not want to leave the butt on the cooker unattended for 9-10 hours (we commute).

Any advice is appreciated.

I was going to say the oven thing, but I see that is not an option. Rick, I used to smoke mine until I went to bed, and then I would foilit and throw it in the oven set to warm all night. But I was home, and I can understand not wanting to leave a hot oven unattended. Idon't know what else you could do....

I'm gonna try it in the oven to finish tonight.
I think there should be enough smoke after 11 hours on the smoker...

Well when I got home at 8pm there was about 1/4 of the charcoal that I had put in from the night before. I had shut the vents in the morning and didn't think anything of it expecting them to be gone in the evening. Imagine my surprise! So I stirred the coals and added about a dozen and put the butt back on for about 6 hours and got to 185 and pulled. Not bad, but a little tough and not enough bark. Passable. But not great. Live and learn...

Back