Weekend tomahawk

Same here.
Since the temp was brought up slowly, there's no need to rest.

If you're concerned about the steak being a "tad bit more rare" then I suggest, (not that anyone's asking:)), making sure that the coals as hot as you can get, I'm talking "warp 10" hot, before searing and make sure that you don't go over 115 at all, when you start. This has always worked for me, with the exception of ribeye roasts, or bottom round, (for pit beef), where I take it to 120, in the thickest part of the roast, before searing. The key is a blazing hot fire to sear.

YMMV
I usually start getting the coals insane hot 10 minutes prior to when I need them, it doesn't take much effort, and many times it will flame up when I add the meat over the fire.

I've noticed that around here, too, (Baltimore metro area). Not big sales, but great availability. Huge tomahawk ribeyes are ~ $12.99 lb at a couple local grocery stores. I think Costco Prime brisket is ~$3.49lb.
I wish I had prices like yours.
AAA so below prime grade.
Then the wagyu price is listed too.....holy
These full size tend to get close to $250
1620837485004.png
1620837655773.png
Prime NY strips seems like the best deal though at $13.99 per pound.

In Canada I believe the grades are bottom of the barrel, then AA, AAA, Prime, and then the fancy stuff like wagyu.
Not sure where choice falls but I would think it would be the AAA grade.

I usually start getting the coals insane hot 10 minutes prior to when I need them, it doesn't take much effort, and many times it will flame up when I add the meat over the fire.
These help with the flame up;)

Attachments

• grates half moon.jpg
    grates half moon.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 1
Yeah the do look pretty nice, seen a few people using them.
I however cannot buy anymore accessories for a while....like maybe next year.
I dropped 1000 bones last fall just getting started with charcoal.....
Then in the last month I dropped another 3000 or close to it getting everything else I wanted.
Some call it Weberitis......I guess I am learning what the really is.........:LOL:

Planning on doing a big 3.5lb tomahawk next weekend...our local place has some nice looking ones, and after watching Malcolm's video, I have to do one. Gonna hang it in the WSM then finish it off on the kettle. yeah, kinda of a waste of charcoal to basically sear it for 4 or 5 minutes, but who cares, right?

I don't have a WSM but to be honest I don't know if there would be any advantage to that cook or not.
I would like to think a good indirect on a kettle would produce the same results.
Adding wood or even just using charcoal, whatever you are aiming for.
I don't like to use more charcoal then I have to really, especially at $40 a bag for a premium charcoal.
Once the steak hits around 105 or so I take the lid off and ahh charcoal if needed, get as much air moving in there as I can.
Not too long and I can get flames on the charcoal and wood and that is hot enough for me.

Back