Weekend Rib Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
Did 3 racks of spares this weekend. They were for my brother's birthday but it was also more of an experiment to see how the tenderness would vary.

1 was BRITU...foiled for 2 hours
1 was dry basted every 1.5 hours with the baste in Chris' article on dry ribs
1 was done the way Carson's Ribs in Chicago does them.

The ribs were cooked for 7 hours at an average dome temp of 242. Water in the water pan. Minion Method for charcoal.

The results were mixed...

The dry ribs came clean off the bone when you bit into them but the meat was dry.

The BRITU ribs could've used another hour in foil, I think. I meant to pour some apple juice on the ribs when I foiled them but forgot to...that might have helped.

The Carson's style ribs were juicy (more so than the dry) but the meat did not come clean of the bone when you ate them. I think these could have benefitted from foiling for and 1 hour or so. I used Big Bob Gibson's Red Sauce and will give it a recommendation to anyone who hasn't tried it.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I was hoping for a little more tenderness in all the ribs but I guess I'll just have to try again /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Any comments/suggestions on what to do differently??? BTW Mom, Pop, & little brother loved 'em.
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Mark,

Just a thought or two. When I measure the difference between the dome temperature and the temp 1/4-inch below the top grill, I get anywhere from 40 to 50 degrees difference. Could you be cooking them at too low of a temp? They shouldn't take that long I wouldn't think.

If your temp gradient is the same as mine, your ribs cooking at close to 200 degrees which seems pretty low. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back