Weekend cook

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I did three racks of BB and when they came off I did two meatloaves. The smoker held perfect temps through the ribs (~230) but I couldn't get the temp up as high as I would have liked for the meatloaves. I suspect that I couldn't get the temps up due to the water pan that I left in the smoker after the ribs. If you guys do something similar do you remove the water pan to dump it??

Also, any recommendation for some commercial rubs? Sometimes I just don’t feel like making my own and would like to sample some for ribs, butts and brisket?

Thanks,
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Drewery:
If you guys do something similar do you remove the water pan to dump it??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Remove your ribs (or whatever) first. Then carefully remove the middle section--you don't want to douse your coals--dump your water, make any necessary coal adjustments; reassemble. Can't help you on the commercial rubs as I have no experience with them but a favorite of many here seems to be Head Country.

Thanks Jim I'll check out the link.

Kevin,

It seemed like it would be a pain to take the water bath out of a hot smoker. I think next time I will do the high temp cook first. Then add water and bring the temps down for low and slow.

Mike

It can be. When I'm doing something like ribs first, I don't use a full water pan (I have the Brinkmann). When the ribs and grates are removed I lift off the middle section and tip the whole thing dumping the pan and water (my grill location allows for this). A quick wipe of the interior with paper towels and then I reassemble.

Mike -- I have shifted to using sand in the pan. For switching over to a high temp cook I simply pull the middle section off (carefully due to the grease in the pan) dump the fire and ash out, start the new fire (lump vs kingsford) and go with the hi-temp cook. I also have taken up using the Guru which makes the temperature control easier. Shotgun Fred recommends using only foil on the pan with the GURU.

Back