Weber summit vs big green egg

I was contemplating between ceramic komado and charcoal summit. I had inspected the summit at an Ace hardware and went to inspect the Komado Joe at the Costco show. I was considering the jumbo joe and was about to pull the trigger on the purchase. $1200 for the jumbo with the stand is a great price and all reviews put it right there with the green egg but at a better price. The following reasons are what swayed me to the charcoal summit. Weight; ceramic komado, especially the jumbo, was extremely heavy. The weber rolls around nice and easy. Not sure if i could lift it into the bed of my truck by myself to travel with, but it would certainly be easier than with the ceramic. Fragility; I really did not read a terrible number of experiences with cracked kamados but did read some. Gas assisted start; I just hate having to use the chimney all of the time, and with the weber I always still have that option if need be and I ran out of gas. Ease of cleaning with the removable ash pan. I have always loved this feature on the OTG and it just works great. Kamado Joe however has a good looking ash removal system but just don't have experience with it. I don't think the green egg has anything to help with ash removal, but I could be wrong. And finally what finally pushed me over the edge, was that just two weeks ago, the latch broke on the door to my wsm 22" from something completely my fault. I contacted weber and told them what happened. On the two year old smoker they sent me a complete replacement door with no questions asked, no pictures, no managers approval required, no hassle. 3 days later, whole new door arrived at my house. And this site if full of those stories and this is not my first experience with weber support. I have never dealt with a company as good as weber when it comes to support. So that's how I ended up with the weber charcoal summit but I am sure a ceramic will grill and smoke just as good if not better, but this is what i based my decision on.

Now onto the review. For background I currently own OTG Kettle, Genesis 1000, WSM 22" and on the go grill. I've spend one weekend and prepared two meals. One was grilled chicken, squash, and abt and the other was pizza. Performed just as well as the kettles when it came to the grilling. Performed better with the pizza, because you can get the temperature up faster and maybe higher. I don't know how hot it was because it pegged out the dial thermometer, but it was plenty hot enough. I will look forward to performing my first smoke of a brisket this upcoming weekend. I love it. I think one of the problems that everyone has with the price is that they are just picturing some new version of the kettle. You have to see it in person to realize just how massive it is. I can tell you that I don't feel ripped off. I love the lid, the hinge works great, and I have always loved the ash cleaner and this is the same old system. Now onto my critiques. You will need a long coal rake. I have the cheap short one from amazon and I burned the hell out of my arms. I may invest in the weber one once it becomes more readily available. The gourmet grate is a pain. I hate having to remove the center section separately. I think I will try to find a way to fasten it to the grate with some stainless steel wire perhaps. I found myself burning again trying to set the grate over the hot coals and getting the insert seated properly in the middle. Was way more difficult that I thought it would be. Maybe this is just me, as I have no previous experience with the gourmet grating system. I think I need to find a good place to hang the grate when it is removed. I didn't spring for the prep table version and without there is no place I have found good for hanging it. On the kettle, I always hung it on the side. But with the thick rim of the summit, this does not seem possible, and if you did, the center insert would fall out. So I will need to work on this. I purchased the weber grill cover even though it will be kept mainly under awning, but it is a small one, so I wanted to protect this grill as best as possible. I cover all of my other grills. I honestly have no idea how this thing can cost $60. I imagine if it's like the others I will only get about 3 years out of it and then will need to purchase another. This is the only thing that I may regret about my purchase.

Also, I would like to add that if anyone has not noticed, there are three leg supports on the bottom of the kettle, just like you see on the performer. This even includes the standard summit charcoal like mine. To me, that means it is likely that they may release a non summit version sometime in the future without the large base and assisted start. Not sure how stable it would be without the large base and that big lid, maybe no hinge and just a removable lid with stainless gasket on it. I guess we shall see.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to address.

Thank you Jeremy for that excellent review. I currently have a 22" Weber kettle. I am kind of a new cooker so I don't really have any feel for the gourmet grate system.
I want to be able to get a fire going (how is that done if I don't use the gas?) and have the temp hold at 225 or so.
I also want to start with enough fuel that I don't need to refuel halfway thru the cook - any thoughts?
For your brisket plan - how long will you cook and do you think you can get thru without refueling?
What is the purpose of the coal rake?

Hope you don't mind answering this!
Mark

Mark -
I do not hot have the Big Summit and after the initial love fest with my BGE, I am back on a more regular basis to my Webers. I just find my Webers a bit easier to use, easier to clean and I'm not messing around with heat deflectors or ceramic shield. I will say the Webers don't get as hot as the BGE but then again I find the WSM a better smoker than the BGE. Lastly, the BGE is heavy. Real heavy. I like that I can move my Webers around.

Mark -
I do not hot have the Big Summit and after the initial love fest with my BGE, I am back on a more regular basis to my Webers. I just find my Webers a bit easier to use, easier to clean and I'm not messing around with heat deflectors or ceramic shield. I will say the Webers don't get as hot as the BGE but then again I find the WSM a better smoker than the BGE. Lastly, the BGE is heavy. Real heavy. I like that I can move my Webers around.

Can the Weber summit make pizza? How hot can it get?

Sorry my whole post was deleted for some reason.
Also, I would like to add that if anyone has not noticed, there are three leg supports on the bottom of the kettle, just like you see on the performer. This even includes the standard summit charcoal like mine. To me, that means it is likely that they may release a non summit version sometime in the future without the large base and assisted start. Not sure how stable it would be without the large base and that big lid, maybe no hinge and just a removable lid with stainless gasket on it. I guess we shall see.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to address.

I finally got to see both models in person over the weekend at my local Ace. They are both pretty sweet looking, though I think I would prefer the table model (not that I would turn down the tripod version). As for the sockets on the bowl, Weber has a long history of using pre-existing parts for new models. I don't foresee the sockets on the Summit models being utilized for anything other than to hold the ash ring and bucket assembly.

Thank you Jeremy for that excellent review. I currently have a 22" Weber kettle. I am kind of a new cooker so I don't really have any feel for the gourmet grate system.
I want to be able to get a fire going (how is that done if I don't use the gas?) and have the temp hold at 225 or so.
I also want to start with enough fuel that I don't need to refuel halfway thru the cook - any thoughts?
For your brisket plan - how long will you cook and do you think you can get thru without refueling?
What is the purpose of the coal rake?

Hope you don't mind answering this!
Mark
If you don't use the gas assist start then you would use either a chimney starter or some weber starter cubes. The coal rake is used to move the coals around after they are lit. My plan for the brisket is probably about 12 hours total. Maybe 6 unwrapped and 6 wrapped. Based on the test run by baby back maniac on youtube, I don't really know if there would be anything that you would cook that would require adding more charcoal. I will likely add more wood along the way during the first 6 hours for smoke. I also have a temperature controller, q master junior, but am going to try the first smoke without it.

Can the Weber summit make pizza? How hot can it get?

As said above I made pizza this weekend. It worked great. Thermometer pegged out over 600 so don't know how hot it got. But From the way the pizza cooked, I don't think you would want it any hotter. Each pizza cooked in about 3 minutes.

As said above I made pizza this weekend. It worked great. Thermometer pegged out over 600 so don't know how hot it got. But From the way the pizza cooked, I don't think you would want it any hotter. Each pizza cooked in about 3 minutes.

really sounds great

Neopolitan or Sicilian pizza :)

Eleven years ago I bought a Green Egg. It is OK, but it is my least used grill or smoker.
I have looked at the Summit Charcoal models, but I am happy enough with my kettles and WSM
that I don't see a Summit in my future. It looks like it will last for a lifetime to me.

Mark, I am also planning to upgrade/sell my current stock of Weber grills/smokers to something else. Our cooking habits have changed; as a result I have not used either our Ranch Kettle or 22 WSM in a couple of years. I also have searched outside of the Weber family. Ceramics are very popular with their owners. Many ceramic owners started on kettles so they know the performance difference between the two. A couple of downsides with ceramics are the weight and slowing down the temperature if it ever overshoots. The temp overshoot gets resolved with experience.

Besides BGEs there are other brands of ceramics and many are discussed at the Kamado Guru site/forum. There are a lot of options in the WSG $1,500 to $2,000 price range. For those that like the performance but not the price of the WSG, a couple of options out there include the Pit Boss for $599 at Costco or the Akorn at Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart for around $300. (Sometimes less than $200 clearance). The Akorn in particular is double walled steel like the WSG but smaller with less features. In fact the company in June is expected to roll out the Akorn Jr which will be in the 14 WSM price range.

Last edited:
Also, I would like to add that if anyone has not noticed, there are three leg supports on the bottom of the kettle, just like you see on the performer. This even includes the standard summit charcoal like mine.

The SCG is built on the "chassis" of a standard 26" kettle bottom, that is why it has the leg supports. I measured one at my local dealer, the dimensions of the outer bowl are identical to the 26.75" Premium Kettle.

I am one of those who also wonders if they will eventually release a "genesis" or "spirit" version of it, but for now, that is the explanation I have for the leg supports.

The SCG is built on the "chassis" of a standard 26" kettle bottom, that is why it has the leg supports. I measured one at my local dealer, the dimensions of the outer bowl are identical to the 26.75" Premium Kettle.

I am one of those who also wonders if they will eventually release a "genesis" or "spirit" version of it, but for now, that is the explanation I have for the leg supports.

Yes and with the comment above I agree. I think they are just using this tech to hold the ash catcher. And if the did have one with legs, it certainly don't think it could have the hinged lid. It's just too top heavy. I think people with the 26 already complain about that.

Ok, so I have had my WSCG for two weekends now and have done 4 cooks. What I can say is this:
1) once you get the temp dialed in, it is rock steady. I had a 3 hour spell on a 6 hour pork shoulder cook where the WSCG held its temp +/- 1 degree for nearly 3 hours. No ATC.
2) it does have a high thermal mass, probably not as high as a ceramic, but on my initial cook I over shot my temperature by 150 deg F. After I shut all vents, it took 45 min to get down to my desired temp range.
3) the ATC (BBQ guru DidgiQ dx2) was easy to set up, initially it over shot the target (think I need to manage the fan damper), but then kept steady temps overnight.
4) it's very efficient, I ran a 15-17 hours brisket cook and only used about 1/3 Kingsford blue (19 lb bag).
5) if you are planning a low and slow cook, be careful with how many coals you start, or how long you keep the gas assist on, because it is so easy to get a temperature excursion.
6) I love the two tier charcoal grate setting. I keep it on lower setting for smoking, I keep it on the higher setting for higher temp indirect/direct cooking.

That is what I have learned about this beast so far.

Ceramics are very popular with their owners. Many ceramic owners started on kettles so they know the performance difference between the two. A couple of downsides with ceramics are the weight and slowing down the temperature if it ever overshoots. The temp overshoot gets resolved with experience.

Being the owner of a large Big Green Egg, my experience has been that temperature overshoots are quite easy to reverse. Unless you're fighting fires from excess grease/drippings, shutting the bottom vent is usually enough to start dropping temps within minutes. Close both bottom and top vents - especially with the ceramic dome cap - and you could see results in a minute or less. Literally

W Tyler, I would guess the WSG is similar to your Bubbq Keg? You have a nice collection of cookers with some overlapping of functions. How best do you use each one and what are your favorites?

W Tyler, I would guess the WSG is similar to your Bubbq Keg? You have a nice collection of cookers with some overlapping of functions. How best do you use each one and what are your favorites?

Of all the cookers I have, for hi temp cooks the Bubba Keg is unmatchable...........both in ease of achieving high temps and keeping it there for hours........6-7 hours above 500 degrees is very easy, allowing for multiple rounds of high temp cooks. I've also done 5-6 hour rib cooks, at roughly 275, finishing at around noon - shut down the lower vent, keeping the top open - then at 6 open the vents wide open to do burgers or half chickens for dinner at 500+. It's effortless.

On the downside, the Bubba Keg is nearly impossible to bring under control once you overshoot target temps - and the more you overshoot, the longer it takes. Once it gets going full blast (all coals lit), you could be looking at an hour or more per 100 degree drop - with ALL VENTS CLOSED.

Not listed in my signature line, but my Kamado Joe classic is probably best and my favorite for overall temp control. Its about even to the Green Egg in ability to drop temps fairly quickly, but also sears as well as the Bubba Keg. May be hard to believe, but in all three grills (large Egg, Kamado Joe Classic (large) and Bubba Keg) I have just under $1100 invested. Bought the Keg new, the Egg and Joe very slightly used.

Back