Weber Summit Too Hot? NG to Propane conversion

Hello All,

I ordered the LP manifold for my Summit grill center which is currently NG. If I change the manifold and regulator will the infrared burner and side burner work properly or are there any other parts that would require changing as well?
Hi Anthony, welcome to the club! I'm glad you decided on a new manifold for your conversion, you probably saved yourself a lot of grief. That being said, I still think you need to change the orifice in the sideburner to make it work right. I assume the same for your IR burner, but I don't know that for a fact. I'm pretty sure someone else will chime in with additional info so stay tuned!

The side burner will likely need a new orifice. I am not sure exactly how the IR burner works, but it may need a new orifice or some other conversion as well.

What about the orifice for the side burner Larry? Doesn't the side burner have an orifice that needs to match the gas being used?

What about the orifice for the side burner Larry? Doesn't the side burner have an orifice that needs to match the gas being used?
IDK enough about Summit thanks to avoiding them like the plague now. Especially the new(er) ones. If the main bank of knobs on the main manifold control it, odds are the orifice is on the control valve.

OK, I thought they were like the Genesis side burners which I believe have the orifice at the side burner with just a gas supply line from the manifold up to the burner.

OK, I thought they were like the Genesis side burners which I believe have the orifice at the side burner with just a gas supply line from the manifold up to the burner.
Yeah, except on the Genesis the side burner is a self contained add on unit with it's own control valve. IDK about the Summit (2nd gen and up). I know I did my brother's (LP to NG) but it was so long ago I cant' remember how I did that one either

According to the 2002 product catalog, the Summit side burner was a stand-alone addition for any model. That would seem to indicate a setup similar to the quick-connect on the Geneses. By 2006, they had gone to using a variant of the same side burner that was on Genesis models. So regardless, the orifice should be in the side burner.

At some point we will get down to the reality on this particular model. Maybe if the OP puts up some photos of the valve, line and burner, we can come to a consensus on where the orifice is and if it might need changing.
My guess it is at the burner whether the valve is or not and will require changing.

Wow you guys are quick! I bought this for a great price on Facebook marketplace and the only guy who would even give me a quote on a natural gas line wants $4k dollars (seems ridiculous).

I managed to get the manifold for $320 but am wondering if I'd have issues with the side burner and infrared burner. I attached a couple of pictures from the listing and will get some close up ones once I get a chance.

Attachments

• received_768004707731189.jpeg
    received_768004707731189.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 13
  • received_741919763773872.jpeg
    received_741919763773872.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 13
27,000 Btu/hr on the side burner, you say?

A side burner with higher heat output than a two-burner Genesis is a heck of a thing...

AS stated before, I am not real familiar with the Summit side burners and have zero experience with the IR burners, but with the control knobs on the side burner panel, it stands to reason that the valves are right behind the knobs an therefore, the orfices are as well. Which would mean that those orifices would need to be swapped out as well for the new gas. I don't even know if there is any kind of orifice on an IR burner.

AS stated before, I am not real familiar with the Summit side burners and have zero experience with the IR burners, but with the control knobs on the side burner panel, it stands to reason that the valves are right behind the knobs an therefore, the orfices are as well. Which would mean that those orifices would need to be swapped out as well for the new gas. I don't even know if there is any kind of orifice on an IR burner.
I believe there is. When I look for a replacement part it says infrared burner without orifice. So I guess now I need to find orifices for the infrared burner and side burner.

Hopefully they are standard ones. I would look up the specs for them such as the thread size and the hole diameter and see if you can source them without paying Weber or some outfit 10x what they should cost. They may use the same orifices as the regular burners.

Why are there 2 control knobs on a single side burner? Looks like the IR burner is controlled from the main manifold. So odds are orifice is on there. I have never seen a Summit like this one. The ones I have seen all have side burner mounted in or on side table. Self contained

There's an inner and outer ring. Each one has its own control valve.
Congrats on grabbing that. I was tempted, but it was a long drive to probably find the cabinets rusted out. Those grills are fuel hogs. I suggest getting more gas line quotes.

The dual ring side burner is only found on the Summit Grill Center and I've seen exactly two for sale in 4-5 years of watching (first was free for pickup!). So, probably nobody here has worked on one. I just looked at the assembly manual and I don't see the orifice under the burner "hat" as other side burners have. I think they're likely back at the control valves, like the main burners. Pop the gas lines off and you should see them. Measure and find the equivalent flow for propane.

Or, just bring it down to NC and I'll send you back with an S-435 setup for propane or NG! :)

I have torn apart 2 NG 470's, 1 NG 420 and a LP 420, all circa 2010-2013. Trying to make two LP 470's out of all of this but this thread is making me rethink that.

The NG valves have different stamped part numbers than the LP so that could lend validity to the premise that the valves themselves are different.

The gas orifices faces are either black (NG) or brass (LP) with the size of the orifice (in mm i believe) stamped. For mine, the side burner reads LP:1.02 and NG:1.69, infrared LP:0.96mm NG:(can't read), regular burners are LP:1.03, NG:1.65. So you can see the significant difference in orifice sizes between LP and NG.

Back