Weber Summit e650 Input

Cody Bratton

TVWBB Pro
Figured I would start a thread so as this materializes further, I can update it. I will be sure to add pics of my findings. This isn't going to be a total rehab perse. Just a clean-up and a tune up for our local first responders!

A friend of mine is a Captain at our local Fire Department and approached me about taking a peek at (and potentially fixing) the e650 that is at their firehouse. He has to bring it up at their next meeting, but is pretty certain it will be approved. He said he cooked on it the other night and had flames shooting up above the level of the grates. I just went and checked it out today. It is a 2008 and the lower cabinet portion is in really good shape! It isn't used much but has been neglected as far as cleaning is concerned. Primarily used for burgers and brats. The occasional steak or chicken dinners. Nice and messy, but not heavily used.
The grates are solid, a good cleaning and ready to rock.
The flavor bars are all present and look solid enough to be cleanable with some scraping and wire wheels. Some of them were out of place allowing drippings directly onto the tubes. I see some tubes listed relatively cheap on Amazon. $50 for 7 tubes seems pretty reasonable to me but I have never used SafBQue company before so I am somewhat skeptical if that's really a better value than an hour worth of cleaning the OEM burners.
Valves turn, but with some resistance. I have tinkered with them on the Genny's but have yet to venture into the Summit's.
Infrared burner, I have never messed with one and I am not sure how they work or if there are any common issues with them.

So if there are any tips, tricks or advice any of the Summit folk would be willing to lend your experience with them, it would be much appreciated! Having some ideas of what challenges one may face ahead of time is always beneficial!

Watch the front of the firebox. There may still be warranty on it BTW but like what happened to me, if Weber honors their word may or may not happen. I believe everything from the S670 is pretty interchangeable though.
The IR burner is a great device and well worth getting it working properly as well. But, the front (and back) of the fire box are the 2 main trigger points for major headache on them

I bet no one ever uses the IR burner. So if it doesn't work, I would not put much time or money into fixing it.

Back