Weber Summit Burn-through issue question

BFletcher

TVWBB Honor Circle
I'm not even in front of my new Summit right now where I can understand if it's accessible to consider this as a barrier but there have been a couple recent threads that have discussed the burn-though problems in the firebox panels. I bought a new S-670 last year. Could I consider a heat shield such as one made of this, or some other material to reduce the likelihood of a burn-through over the years? If so, do I need to protect only the front panel where the burners are located, or do I need to protect additional areas? Or is there simply no solution?

As a side note, I store it in the basement between use, so I don't think I have a concern with the elements.

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-9...-Solder-Heat-Shield-2-Pack-314002-1/313787820

Make sure you register it with Weber. Keep it clean and maintained. Be careful not to scratch or gouge the firebox. You don’t want bare metal exposed through porcelain enamel.

I don’t know if a mod is good at this point since it’s under warranty.

Yah, I wouldn't mod it now. At least in a way that is permanent and not totally undoable. The way some have fixed the burn through problem is to fasten a stainless steel plate over the porcelain coated panel and covering up the holes or corrosion spots. But, I wouldn't do that until it was necessary because you need to fasten it some way and that would mean drilling into the existing plate.

One thing you might want to consider is purchasing a spare plate now. I don't know what weber would charge for one though. I would imagine they still have them in stock if it for a current model grill. Unlike the older models which Weber abandonded already.

In my experience it takes around 10 years of heavy use and acids to eat through the lower cookbox, from my own personal experience. If you’re easy on your grill and keep it very clean, you could exceed this time frame, IMO. Avoid grease fires, keep our drip tray very clean and keep acid off the box where the grates sit on the cookbox.

The burn through happens at the igniters over time, but a very long time. I used to cook 150 days a year on my summit and it took around 10 years to fully destroy the lower cookbox.

I’d avoid any mods right now so you don’t void your warranty.

From what I see, the individual pieces of the firebox are not available, the firebox is replaced as one unit. I’m not even sure if the third generation Summits suffer the same issues as the second gen.

Well, one would assume that Weber would have fixed that issue by now. They have known for many years that it was the biggest problem area on the grills. Of course, no company wants their grills to last forever.

Manufacturing companies so often fail to correct known errors. Everyone knows BMW can't make a window regulator to save their lives. Causes a lot of people to steer clear of the great "driving machine". With all of their German engineering expertise, of course they could fix this if they wanted to. Easily. Probably in their sleep. They don't.

I've seen this again and again. For years, I owned Volvo 240s. Great cars. But they had certain known problems that were never resolved. Others, they'd take a half hearted stab at and in the process mess up something else. The Japanese manufacturers are different. Before WWII, William Edwards Deming brought his ideas about quality management and continually improving manufacturing to American corporations. Resulted in some great products, like those old indestructible Bell telephones. Anyone remember those? Couldn't break 'em no matter how hard you slammed the receiver in the cradle.

After the war, planned obsolescence gained ascendancy and the Americans wouldn't give him the time of day. So he took his show on the road and the Japanese adopted his model. The result is they created some of the best manufacturing enterprises the world has ever known. Their cars got better from year to year and generation to generation. They didn't have to have their butts kicked from one side of the world to the other in order to motivate the effort.

Manufacturing companies so often fail to correct known errors. Everyone knows BMW can't make a window regulator to save their lives. Causes a lot of people to steer clear of the great "driving machine". With all of their German engineering expertise, of course they could fix this if they wanted to. Easily. Probably in their sleep. They don't.

I've seen this again and again. For years, I owned Volvo 240s. Great cars. But they had certain known problems that were never resolved. Others, they'd take a half hearted stab at and in the process mess up something else. The Japanese manufacturers are different. Before WWII, William Edwards Deming brought his ideas about quality management and continually improving manufacturing to American corporations. Resulted in some great products, like those old indestructible Bell telephones. Anyone remember those? Couldn't break 'em no matter how hard you slammed the receiver in the cradle.

After the war, planned obsolescence gained ascendancy and the Americans wouldn't give him the time of day. So he took his show on the road and the Japanese adopted his model. The result is they created some of the best manufacturing enterprises the world has ever known. Their cars got better from year to year and generation to generation. They didn't have to have their butts kicked from one side of the world to the other in order to motivate the effort.
i've owned 13 BMWs and only had three window regulators fail (one E46 sedan and two on E53 X5 gen 1) and all these were on older models. my current BMWs haven't had a window regulator fail in over 13+ years so while the past may have shown issues, the current lineup doesn't have those issues (zero failures since 2008 MY, in my ownership experience).

maybe not making overly generic statement would be in order. and BMW has no issues selling lots of cars so i don't know how many people "steer clear" of buying due to window regulators. that just seems like a silly statement.

the reality is for Weber and the current Summit gasser cookbox is, it's too expensive to retool the build so they'll honor the warranty period which is 10 years on the cookbox. if you're a Sunday griller, that box will last longer than 10 years. if you're more a prosumer type griller, that box may or may not make it 10 years but if it fails within warranty, you're still covered so it's a no-brainer then.

i bought both of my two Summit gassers used because they were each at $0.36 on the dollar. that's a good deal for me. i destroyed the first one in 10 years and the cost of rebuilding it buying parts from Weber was more expensive than just buying a new-used one. so i went from a Summit 620 to a Summit 670. I'll likely sell the Summit 670 this summer as I don't use it or see a need for it any more. i'll get 100% or more of my money out of it so ownership was a zero loss or slight gain (i'll know for sure when I sell it).

even the older Weber Genesis boxes had problems. they'd warp under high heat. I went through two of those in my days as well. those were cast aluminum and they aged poorly. i also likely overcooked in them. i am not kind to my grills. i like heat and i like to cook for large parties.

nothing lasts forever. Weber still has some of the best warranty support in the market. Weber makes a very good mass market grill. if you want a pro-level grill, step up to all SS and get higher end burners and sear stations. the sky's the limit on price. Weber isn't making Porsches here. they're just grills. no need to bag on Weber or BMW.

there are plenty of other crappy grill options out there that'll last one to two seasons if you cook on them. then you can experience real garbage grills. until then, enjoy what you got and eat good food. and nothing lasts forever, nothing.

there are plenty of other crappy grill options out there that'll last one to two seasons if you cook on them. then you can experience real garbage grills. until then, enjoy what you got and eat good food. and nothing lasts forever, nothing.
By me the charcoal grills in parks come pretty close.

i've owned 13 BMWs and only had three window regulators fail (one E46 sedan and two on E53 X5 gen 1) and all these were on older models. my current BMWs haven't had a window regulator fail in over 13+ years so while the past may have shown issues, the current lineup doesn't have those issues (zero failures since 2008 MY, in my ownership experience).

maybe not making overly generic statement would be in order. and BMW has no issues selling lots of cars so i don't know how many people "steer clear" of buying due to window regulators. that just seems like a silly statement.

the reality is for Weber and the current Summit gasser cookbox is, it's too expensive to retool the build so they'll honor the warranty period which is 10 years on the cookbox. if you're a Sunday griller, that box will last longer than 10 years. if you're more a prosumer type griller, that box may or may not make it 10 years but if it fails within warranty, you're still covered so it's a no-brainer then.

i bought both of my two Summit gassers used because they were each at $0.36 on the dollar. that's a good deal for me. i destroyed the first one in 10 years and the cost of rebuilding it buying parts from Weber was more expensive than just buying a new-used one. so i went from a Summit 620 to a Summit 670. I'll likely sell the Summit 670 this summer as I don't use it or see a need for it any more. i'll get 100% or more of my money out of it so ownership was a zero loss or slight gain (i'll know for sure when I sell it).

even the older Weber Genesis boxes had problems. they'd warp under high heat. I went through two of those in my days as well. those were cast aluminum and they aged poorly. i also likely overcooked in them. i am not kind to my grills. i like heat and i like to cook for large parties.

nothing lasts forever. Weber still has some of the best warranty support in the market. Weber makes a very good mass market grill. if you want a pro-level grill, step up to all SS and get higher end burners and sear stations. the sky's the limit on price. Weber isn't making Porsches here. they're just grills. no need to bag on Weber or BMW.

I'm a former BMW owner who wouldn't consider another because they're not particularly reliable and, when something does fail, they're super expensive to repair. Which is why their resale value drops like a stone. Now I own a Lexus and a Mazda, both of which hold their resale value really well, precisely because they last.

Getting back to grills, to each his own. If you're good with 10 year obsolescence, I've no issue with your choice. It's not a choice I'd make as long as there are other options. Pretty much all appliances are like that now. When we were kids, refrigerators lasted 20 or 30 years. Now you're lucky if you get 10. I read somewhere that 7 years is the average elapsed time to first significant repair. In my opinion, that's criminal. They can get away with it because all the old brands have been bought up by two huge companies. So there's effectively no competition. Even if you spend enormous sums on Subzeros, they won't last any longer. The U.S. stopped enforcing antitrust laws that are still mostly on the books. When we took those laws seriously, we didn't allow a single company too large a share of their market. In the 1950s one shoe company was blocked from buying another because they would have wound up with more than 1% of the market. That's the standard that was in effect at the time. No company should own more than 1%. Perhaps that was extreme but we've moved too far in the opposite direction. In many areas, one company dominates a market. Consider what that does to innovation. Apple is fantastically profitable in vertically integrated niches with no competition, but no one challenges them on their turf because they know how to play dirty and no one stops them. You can spend a billion bucks and they'll drive you into bankruptcy.

When it comes to refrigerators, there's no choice because one can't get the old ones. Fortunately, with grills we can still buy the old Webers that hold up so well. Invest $100 or so and get lots of years of service before having to invest in an igniter, flavorizer bars or something else that's really no big deal. I'd much prefer that to a Summit that's going to fail catastrophically and wind up in the dump.

Last edited:

Back