Weber summit 650 NG to LP

AaronP

TVWBB Fan
hi guys.. new here. I just picked this grill up for a song. I need to convert it to LP.. from the reading i have done its not as easy as i hoped. Does anyone make a kit so it can be done correctly. Is there someone here who has used parts out of a LP one for sale?

Attachments

• 20200906_163955.jpg
    20200906_163955.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200906_164033.jpg
    20200906_164033.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi Aaron, you need a complete LP Manifold assembly to convert to propane if you want the grill to work properly.

Hi Aaron - check out this post about gas conversion. Your grill is quite old so used parts might be your only option

The easiest way to go about this is to find a donor grill...but lacking that, buy the LP valves and manifold (if needed), the correctly sized propane reg with hose, and tank fuel level/tank support hardware (if needed). If you want to break it down to nuts and bolts, it's time consuming learning all you need to know and then sourcing all the right pieces, and at the end of it all you may not have a well-behaved grill.

Is there a good place to find a doner grill? Ebay? Is there a classifieds add on here that i cant find?

Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, FreeCycle, NextDoor are some of the more common ones. There may be others in your area, but I would take a good hard look at what you have before you put any more time or money in this. I know nothing about your particular grill but there are certain models that are considered rust buckets so better to find that out first.

Ugh.. i was sooooo excited about getting this :( dang..

I appreciate your help even if its not the news i was hoping for :)

Do a forum search on the search term "Summit"...here's a recent thread:

Sadly, it doesn't look promising. Good luck!

Weber quit supporting that grill even while it was under warranty. Odds are before you waste any money on it, you will find the front of the fire box rusted out. Sadly you cannot repair that unless you can find a fabricator to make a new piece.
Again search is your friend. Re converting from NG to LP on that model basically impossible without a complete manifold swap. You can do a hillbilly conversion but it won't operate correctly and it will not be fully safe

I had read the same thing needing a new manifold about converting a Genesis 2 S320 from NG to LP. I found some orifices and drilled them to spec added an old regulator hose I had from another grill, bought the tank scale to hold the tank and it worked perfect. Why could he not just drill the orifices out larger for his Summit?
Thanks
Joe

Bottom line I have WAY more experience doing conversions PROPERLY and SAFELY. I got schooled by a licensed gas fitter as well. There are issues with Weber grills specifically dues to the way Weber specs the valving that will cause MOST but not ALL to never be able to be converted. Yeah you can do a hill billy conversion but that's why there are Darwin awards too

I thought ng was bigger because it takes more gas to make heat
Partial credit.

Q1: Which has the higher pressure, NG, or LP?

Q2: What is the proper pressure rating for a LP regulator?

Extra Credit: How do you drill out a NG orifice so you can use it for LP?

Back