weber starter chimney grill rusted out

Mike in Sonora

The wire grill inside my Weber 7416 starter chimney has rusted out. I received a generic chimney for xmas and it seems to be working ok, but my Weber is larger and nicer - the only problem is that it doesn't have the wire grill any more... Hate to see it just sit there

I'd like to repair it - any ideas on how to cobble up a replacement piece? Called Weber and they said that I'd need to buy a whole new unit.

I can't be the only one here that's worn a chimney out...

if all that requires replacement is the charcoal grate inside, check out your local hardware store for 1/8" stainless (3mm) rod.
Remove the old and cut, bend and replace the grate. Really no need to replicate exactly (the circled sections), just enough to keep the briquettes from falling thru.

I've done this many years ago and my fix is still working. <span class="ev_code_GREY">and i use it ALOT!</span>
good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and i use it ALOT! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Golly Jim, I just figured you never let the BBQ go out,. just dump some unlit on the top and keep going again.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

I agree with the others...the thing is under $15. just replace it. Who doesn't like NEW STUFF??

On a related note, I've been wanting to pick up one of those square chimneys that Steven Raichlen uses on his show. Those things look huge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
I agree with the others...the thing is under $15. just replace it. Who doesn't like NEW STUFF??

On a related note, I've been wanting to pick up one of those square chimneys that Steven Raichlen uses on his show. Those things look huge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Academy Sports has both the weber & Stephen's.
They are both about the same capacity. The weber is 3-4 dollars cheaper & slightly heavier built.

Thanks for the heads up. I wish we had an Academy store in Atlanta, but the nearest ones are in Athens and Augusta. I have a gift card to use up and I can't decide if I should wait until my next trip to either place or blow it on the paltry selection of stuff they have online.

Chris, Acadamy is just in the testing stage for online shopping.
By early March they will have every thing stocked & as you know have as good an outdoor cooking selection as any store.
Make a road trip to Athens & get what you want for your gift.
I like to go & lust after the Old Country horizontal smoker made of 1/4 steel they have.
( hey that's the kinda cooker I learned to cook on)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Thanks for the heads up. I wish we had an Academy store in Atlanta, but the nearest ones are in Athens and Augusta. I have a gift card to use up and I can't decide if I should wait until my next trip to either place or blow it on the paltry selection of stuff they have online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to the beach this summer, stop in Macon. I think they have one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
Chris, Acadamy is just in the testing stage for online shopping.
By early March they will have every thing stocked & as you know have as good an outdoor cooking selection as any store.
Make a road trip to Athens & get what you want for your gift.
I like to go & lust after the Old Country horizontal smoker made of 1/4 steel they have.
( hey that's the kinda cooker I learned to cook on) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to know. Everyone talks about some good deals at Academy but I make it to Athens once a year, and Augusta... well never anymore.

I feel there is a thread on the board somewhere with some pics posted of chimneys that had just simply worn out/burned through over time. It wasn't the grate, but the actual body. In fact, on Amazon when you go to buy one there are a few comments on there by people saying there's simply burned through. I know I"ve seen a picture somewhere....

Just buy a new one is my advice

Mine rusted/burned out the bolts that held it together. It just sprung open on me one time as I was dumping the charcoal. I said a few words, had a moment of silence and went and bought a new one. It lasted me seven years.

Back