Weber Smokefire - My Perspective

I still have mixed emotions as I'm a diehard Weber fan. I still have and use the first Weber I bought in 1998 and have four others in my backyard. But like a lot of us as I'm getting older and fiddle farting with a grill that has issues isn't on my bucket list. My three year old Camp Chef has yet to have any problems at all. Yes, it's a bare bones model and that's probably why it doesn't have any issues no wi-fi, no apps, no software upgrades and a well proven design. I monitor it with my Smoke and it just does its thing.
I'm sure the results of a cooks on a SmokeFire are going to be superior to my Camp Chef, but at this stage I don't know what I'm missing, so I'm a happy camper with what I have. But still when I see a SmokeFire on display I still wonder..... what if.
I love my Camp Chef as well - it truly is set it and forget it. I have the Dicks Sporting Goods DLX model with the Sidekick attachment (no wifi). I jumped at a chance to pick up a used Gen 1 EX4 for $200 a few months back, but have not had the same experience with the Weber. Most of the stuff I have tried on the SF has ended up overcooked, as I seem to experience some pretty drastic temp swings. My most recent cook came out decent, so I'm hopeful that I am getting the hang of it. Definitely not the beginner experience I had with the Camp Chef though.

Back