Weber S310 Grill Cover Suggestions (OEM is Crap)

Musky-Hunter

TVWBB Member
I have a 1 year old Weber grill cover for my S310 that has cracked and ripped very badly. The Chinese fabric they used couldn't handle one Minnesota winter. Meanwhile 2 year old Broilmaster fabric looked nearly new before I regrettably sold it.

Does anyone know if there is a higher quality cover that fits this grill available from a third party?

You may want to try:

Two Dogs

We sell them, but you can buy online also. The fabric seems pretty heavy duty and have not heard a complaint about them yet.

Custom upholstery shop would work too, but can get pricey.

I thought that $50 was a bit pricey for a grill cover,even though I had just spent $600 on my grill. I went to Wally world and bought a cover that would fit. Don't recall the brand off the top of my head (it's been 2 winters ago),but it's pretty tough and keeps the grill dry. At least when I remember to put the durn thing on!
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Musky-Hunter:
I have a 1 year old Weber grill cover for my S310 that has cracked and ripped very badly. The Chinese fabric they used couldn't handle one Minnesota winter. Meanwhile 2 year old Broilmaster fabric looked nearly new before I regrettably sold it.

Does anyone know if there is a higher quality cover that fits this grill available from a third party? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have the Standard Weber cover or the Premium? I have the Premium for my Genesis 320 and its Terrific. Very Strong and well built. 3 years and no problems.

Steve:

I have the premium.

You are not having problems because you don't live where it freezes! After talking to the Weber customer service people I learned that they changed over from Nylon to Vinyl for their covers because if you can believe this.... people were complaining that the nylon cover was too "heavy". Well what they get in exchange for the weight is vinyl that freezes, cracks and falls apart. When it is cold and I take the cover off it literally stands up on its own as if the grill was still under it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Musky-Hunter:
Steve:

I have the premium.

You are not having problems because you don't live where it freezes! After talking to the Weber customer service people I learned that they changed over from Nylon to Vinyl for their covers because if you can believe this.... people were complaining that the nylon cover was too "heavy". Well what they get in exchange for the weight is vinyl that freezes, cracks and falls apart. When it is cold and I take the cover off it literally stands up on its own as if the grill was still under it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are right, here in Northern California I dont have to worry about the freezing weather.
That sucks that Weber changed to vinyl. I appreciate the heaviness of the Premium cover. Well, good luck with your search. looks like you have some good options to choose from.

Sorry to hear about your problems on the cover. I must have one of the old covers because it works great for me here in the land of lakes and cold.
icon_smile.gif
I have the premium cover for my gas and charcoal Webers and they hold up great. They do get very stiff when it is this cold but I have no issues with cracking.

I'm sure my winters aren't as bad as yours, but my covers are both on their 2nd or 3rd year and are fine. The Genesis is on it's 2nd cover in 8 or 9 years. I hope vinyl can last more than a few winters since my car's convertible top is vinyl! Did Weber customer service offer any solutions?

Jon:

I wasn't intending to do any bashing, just a legit search for an alternate better product. Since you asked, I was very disappointed with the way Weber handled the situation. The initial response was essentially, we will sell you another POS cover for 50% off plus shipping and tax. When I told them I didn't want the same POS and we had the discussion about changing from nylon to vinyl I asked if they wanted to see some pictures of how these covers are (not) holding up in cold climates. My intention for sending the photo was not an attempt to get a better deal, rather a genuine desire to get them to see they need to change the product. They CS person giggled and said sure I could send it but it wasn't going to go anywhere further than her manager so it wasn't worth the trouble of sending the picture.

That's really disappointing, since normally you hear such amazing stories about Weber CS. Do your grills spend a lot of time in the sun? I would bet that's more the culprit than your Winters.

Another thought, and this might sound really silly but it's worth a try. I regularly use a product called VinylX on my car's vinyl top to clean and "feed" it. That may be something to prolong the life. I like the perfect fit of the Weber covers, but I do know that my newer Genesis cover is much lighter than the old. Never thought about why until your post.

Sorry to hear about your cover. Mine is sitting out in its 4th winter here in central Iowa. Some of the stitching rotted and had to be redone but other than that it is fine. Sits out year round including baking in the sun on the south side of our house. Maybe they changed their material in the last couple of years.

Mike

Back