Weber recommendations?

You live and you learn. I can help you out here, get a gas assist Performer and be done with it.

This evening on my way home from work I stopped by the same place I got my WSM, and purchased a Performer Platinum. Got the last one they had in stock (floor model was a '12 Performer). Funny thing is, I won't be able to get it for a week. We tried our darndest, but just couldn't get the box to fit into my car. My wife's car is same model, so I know it wouldn't fit into hers, had I come back with it. So, I guess I'll have to have them deliver it, the earliest being next week Friday. At least it's free delivery!

Congratulations Matt! I won't even wish you luck because you won't need it. You're going to love that thing. Oh hell.....Good Luck anyway. :)

I have had my performer since the late 90's it's a fantastic grill, we use it 3-4 nights a week in the summer time. I rarely use the propane start as I like the chimney better.

I have had my performer since the late 90's it's a fantastic grill, we use it 3-4 nights a week in the summer time. I rarely use the propane start as I like the chimney better.

Does it work to put your chimney on the grate, above the propane starter? Seems almost like that would be the best of both worlds.

This evening on my way home from work I stopped by the same place I got my WSM, and purchased a Performer Platinum. Got the last one they had in stock (floor model was a '12 Performer). Funny thing is, I won't be able to get it for a week. We tried our darndest, but just couldn't get the box to fit into my car. My wife's car is same model, so I know it wouldn't fit into hers, had I come back with it. So, I guess I'll have to have them deliver it, the earliest being next week Friday. At least it's free delivery!

Matt P--
You will love that thing. I ordered the parts to build a Mini this weekend, and i was like a kid before Christmas waiting for UPS to deliver. I feel for you waiting for the delivery. You should get one of your buddies to take you to get in in their truck/SUV and you can cook them a burger or something. But anyway you will love it, the only regret will be not getting one sooner.

Does it work to put your chimney on the grate, above the propane starter? Seems almost like that would be the best of both worlds.
Yes it does. Some folks remove and invert the screen/rails on the chimney so it holds a little more and gets the coals closer to the flame.

Signed,
Some Folks

Looks like I should be able to get the grill this evening. My buddy's going to let me borrow his minivan to go get it. Glad he forgot how much I teased him when he got it a few months ago!

That's exactly how I fire up my WSM. :)

I see myself doing that.

My philosophy is to buy the biggest and the best you can afford, need it or not, and you will won't be left wanting for more more later.

It's home, and I have played with the new toy!

8726423631_9a071f2236_o.jpg

I put a half-filled chimney on the starter and was quite pleased with how well it got things going. I'm wondering-- how long do you guys usually run that burner before you shut it off and let the coals just finish themselves?

Back