Weber Q mod?

dave_scarpetti

TVWBB Member
I have one of the Weber Q gas grills. It's pretty weak on the heat output. Needs lots of time to warm up never gets ripping though. I love some things about it, good cast iron grate, etc. Does anyone think I could swap out the "element" in the bottom with something else to deliver more gas?

I used to have the same problem. I called Weber Customer Support and they were able to help me. I was using a hose and a 20lb tank and I wasn't giving the hose time to fully fill before starting up the Q. The procedure that was told to me by Weber Customer support is as follows:

Make sure the lid is open and the Q is in the off position.

Turn on the propane tank.

Wait two minutes (I used to wait the full two minutes, but after I got the hang of it I found one minute was more than enough).

Set the Q to the start position.

Ignite.

Once the flame has started close the lid and let it warm up for about 10 minutes. I've found that this procedure gets the grill very hot. I haven't had any complaints with it since.

If you're using a 20lb propane tank try this method (I was dubious but it worked). If you're using the small one pound canisters then obviously the problem lies somewhere else.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I've always used a 20 lber, I'm lookng forward to trying this. I'm thinking some nice flank steak on Sunday will be a perfect test run. Keep you posted!

It seems that if the hose only half fills before you turn the knob on the Q (or if you leave the the knob on when you open the propane tank) you only get half pressure. This gives you a smaller flame that doesn't create enough heat. When working properly the Weber Q should give you very good heat.

The problem is only with large tanks and not with the canisters. Since most people use the one pound canisters on the Weber Q grills, the information isn't getting out there.

Bill

I didn't have more than a feeling it was underpowered, so this morning, I replaced the regulator (for some reason I had an extra) and installed a thermometer in the dome (the cap drills pretty easily) and it seems ok. After 10-15 minutes, it's around 600+. I guess that's good enough for a decent sear.

I'll definitely continue to open the tank for a minute or so before hitting the igniter.

Originally posted by dave_scarpetti:

I'll definitely continue to open the tank for a minute or so before hitting the igniter.

Just to be clear, it's a minute between opening the propane tank and opening the valve on the grill (setting it to start position). You should ignite the grill within seconds of letting the propane enter the grill. Propane is heavier than air and will build up if allowed to collect for a minute or two and you risk an explosion.

Bill

As and FYI, you can refill those 1lb canisters with an adapter available on Amazon.com. I use this for both my Q220 and my Performer.

Originally posted by Sheldon Koehler:
As and FYI, you can refill those 1lb canisters with an adapter available on Amazon.com. I use this for both my Q220 and my Performer.

I've been using the refill adapter for about 10 years. Another great tool for my BBQ arsenal.

Bill

Just a follow-up.

Wow, what a difference! My Q is actually a pretty serious machine. Got a thermometer installed and getting to 600 is pretty easy and once a pound of burgers was on and lid closed recovery is fast too.

Thanks Bill!

Back