Weber Q 220 temperatures for a Butterflied Chicken

Keith Hill

TVWBB Member
I cooked my first Butterflied Chicken recently and it turned out perfect but rather burnt on the skin.

I cooked as per instructions. Foil on grill, then Roasting Trivet, turned to high and cooked until internal temperate was correct.

My questions are

1 Should I start off with the high temperate for X minutes then reduce to ???? until cooked

2 Start on high and reduce to ???? immediately until cooked?

3 Cook on high until cooked?

Keith:):)

not sure what you should do but for sure not on high the whole time. i would turn it down by half. best is to get a remote and see what the temps are next to the chicken.

George

Where and how do I start looking for something like that.

If it is electrical it will have to be bought in Aust.

Not sure what a roasting trivet is or why you put foil on the grill. That's cheating not grilling

its called cooking indirect on a gasser (q) that has just one burner. it works rather well. trivet is just a cookie rack or whatever so the chicken in this case does not sit on the foil and also allows the heat to reach the bottom of the chicken. its a very good process that works very well.

LMichaels

BBQTrivetampFoil313edited-1.jpg

This is a photo directly from the Weber WWW

This what I have a Weber Q

Last edited:
LMichaels

The Trivet if I am correct yes its a very heavy cake/cookie stand.

The standard oven stand would not last very on a BBQ Grill.

That was my biggest concern when using this Forum the names and terminology differ greatly.

Even you cooking measurements are different.

If I said I had a 100lt fish tank with over 300 fully grown "Shrimps" in it many would be confused.

The Shrimps a FW and average fully grown size is 15-20mm

AquJeboShrimpseatingPellet3313edited-1.jpg

The big striped fish (looks like a fat garden worm) is a Khuli Loach

Here are some of my Shrimps at feeding time.

Need to put a lot of those shrimps on the BBQ to get a meal.

The Cost can range from AU$ 4 to Hundreds depending on the colour and species

Be a bit expensive having a feed of them.

Actually I am quite familiar with metric system. Actually wish we could go to it here in US. But in so many ways the more I travel the more I see what a backward country we are.

i know that much if not all the farm machinery is now metric. they had to make sure it was metric if it was to be exported. and yes, the metric system is much easier.
having used it most of my life i'm still confused with 3/8 and 6/16 !

The metric system gets confusing only if you try and convert it to the old way. We were the same in Australia using 3/8 and 6/16ths of an inch or foot or whatever but metric solves all of that. We officially converted in 1974 so we pretty much grew up with it although sometimes I still talk Miles, feet, inches but we use litres instead of Gallons and measure our fuel consumption (cars) in Litres per 100kms or kms/ltr. By the way theres 2 gallons..imperial which we used and US gall. US Gal was about 0.66 of a litre smaller.

When I began the American style low & slow, I had to learn lbs, Farenheit ounces and stuff all over again only so we don't balls it up.

England is a funny place..it uses both both metric and some of the old system like miles and gallons and yet it's right next door to Europe that's been metric for ever. Everyone considers England to be part of Europe but Englands says...well we're not really.....we just love to pop over there once in a while:D

With the Weber Q's, you use a doubled over sheet of foil which acts as a buffer and traps a lot of heat between the sheets, you then makes a series of slits in the foil so any fat can run through and down into the drip tray underneath. The foil also makes the heat surround the foil and go up on all sides, up into the lid and then circle around the food until it finds it's way out of the 2 side exhaust vents.
It's very well designed in how it achieves all this and creates a superb result. There may be copies of the Weber Q series coming out of the orient but they just can't master everything the Q can do. The trivet (or cookie rack as it's referred to) is much more than a cookie rack...these things are super solid and will not bend under any normal human strength. They can also be use without the foil so that if you don't want your food touching the superhot cast iron grillbars, this way you can keep them slightly higher and off the cast iron. Also good for placing a pizza stone on for baking pizzas etc.

Cheers

Davo

Last edited:
Sorry but to me (no offense) but grilling on foil has always been paramount to "cheating". The only thing close to it I have done is I use a shallow pan (like a broiler pan) and than use a raised rack on that. I than will put a little water in the pan and perhaps do a chicken in top. Now the only reason I have ever worked this way is either way back when I did not have a Weber or on my little Q140 as the heat element is right under the entire cooking grate and it is the only way I could "roast" something.

seems to me you have missed the point. one is not cooking in or in foil. it is strictly being used as a heat deflector.
the trivet or whatever you want to call it is to raise whatever you are cooking for even heat distribution.
its simple and it works. wrapping something in foil can be considered "cheating" but as one advances in their
culinary experiance one will find that anything is fair as long as "you" get what you are looking for.

Sorry but to me (no offense) but grilling on foil has always been paramount to "cheating". The only thing close to it I have done is I use a shallow pan (like a broiler pan) and than use a raised rack on that. I than will put a little water in the pan and perhaps do a chicken in top. Now the only reason I have ever worked this way is either way back when I did not have a Weber or on my little Q140 as the heat element is right under the entire cooking grate and it is the only way I could "roast" something.

Sorry but to me (no offense) but grilling on foil has always been paramount to "cheating".

Kinda strong words, referring to the way someone cooks as cheating. Can you point me to the rules so I don't make the same mistake myself while cooking in my back yard? Thanks. I certainly don't want to be a cheater.

Not sure what you're asking. but here is what I mean. Putting a layer of foil on top of a grill grate and putting food on that is not grilling. You can do the same thing in a fry pan.

Back