weber q 220 as a pizza oven

B Ferguson

Hi,

am loving my new 220 q. Does steaks & snags sensationally. However I am having trouble getting it hot enough to use as a pizza oven. I put the foil down then the trivet as per the video instuctions and preheat on high for 20 minutes. The heat is not nearly as high as when i preheat for 10 minutes for steaks. Accordingly my pizza base is not as well cooked as the topping. Any suggestions

In my experience with the Q220, it's not going to get up to pizza cooking temperatures (at least not to the 550 degrees at which I like to cook pizzas on my ceramic cooker). You might try cooking the pizza until the toppings are almost done then sliding the trivet off and finishing the pizza directly on the foil or on the grill to get the bottom done.

Just a thought....

By the way, do you have the cool black Q220?

Good luck!

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Ferguson:
Hi,

am loving my new 220 q. Does steaks & snags sensationally. However I am having trouble getting it hot enough to use as a pizza oven. I put the foil down then the trivet as per the video instuctions and preheat on high for 20 minutes. The heat is not nearly as high as when i preheat for 10 minutes for steaks. Accordingly my pizza base is not as well cooked as the topping. Any suggestions </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too much foil on the grill reduces the lid temp. To cook a pizza you need a lid temp of 270+C. Ditch the foil,preheat the pizza stone on the trivet, assemble the piza on baking paper sitting on the metal tray, transfer the pizza and baking paper onto the stone and after a few minutes remove the baking paper. You should get perfect pizzas. Go to the Aussie BBQ forum for the recipe for Pizza dough.
I make perfect pizzas every time using this method.

Cheers
Captain Cook

when doing pizzas on my Q, i put the dough directly on the grill, flipped, topped, and finished. turned out great.

Back