Weber/Purviance Television Show Suggestions & Requests...

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
With Chris' kind permission and at Jamie Purviance's suggestion, this thread will collect your requests and suggestions for future cooking videos. (Personally, I'm hoping that Jamie and the Weber folks will create a cooking show in the spirit of America's Test Kitchen.)

I've suggested at least some shows be dedicated to the WSM. What topics, recipes, and shows would you like to see on television?

Videos: How to trim a brisket
How to separate the point from the flat when it's done... and then how to slice it

(yeah, I know these are available other places, like here - but I prefer the downloadable Video podcast format of Weber Nation because I'm a QuickTime fan)

Video: How to truss a chicken. (I've figured it out from the pictures in Real Grilling and the illustrations in the Big Book - but a video would have helped immensely the first time)

Video: How to cook a bird on a rotisserie (especially how to set up the fire... My rotis chickens never come close to matching the juiciness of my "beer can" style chickens - I assume it's my technique that is lacking?)

Recipes: Things involving cheap meats are always welcome. After dropping hundreds on Prime Ribs, Briskets, and loads of baby back ribs - sometimes it's nice to grill up cheap stuff. (Pork chops, whole chickens, etc)

The principles involved in grilling are always good... Instead of just recipes - explaining why certain things are done and teaching some of the "theory" behind it can help guide future creativity... It's like learning the guitar: you can learn the chords and learn other people's songs - but if you learn the I-IV-V or the 12-bar blues, you're able to build off it to create your own songs...

Anyway. That's a lot of ideas.
icon_smile.gif
I'm sure others have many more to offer.

This is a great start, guys. I am writing down all these ideas.

Personally, I'd like to get out on the road a little and record some videos with people like you. Who has some cool techniques to teach us?

Jamie

Personally, I'd like to know the intracacies of how to get a grilled look/taste while cooking indirect. I know all the little tricks--searing, short time direct, etc.--but I've never really read anything about it.

Good point, Phil. To me, there almost nothing as important as knowing when and how to jockey food from direct to indirect. This is very difficult to explain in a recipe because each time you grill, the timing and technique are a little different. But seeing it happen on video is very useful.

Back