Weber Performer needs some work

Tina

I picked up this weber performer for $100 on offer up after I lost out on several over the past couple of months because I was too late.

Its in decent condition but it is missing the original thermometer and mini tank. The ignition system looks little rough. It does have the original ash catcher but I've ordered a new one, a new cleaning system and new casters. I'm probably going to need to replace the wheels too. I'd like a new lid holder too eventually.

There's some rust on the cart so I've taken it apart to sand and repaint it. I can't figure out how to get the door off of the top frame assembly and the manual hasn't been super helpful. Weber support didn't have any helpful suggestions either.

There is also a little hole in the bottom of the charcoal bin but I don't know how much that bothers me yet as I usually store charcoal in a stand alone charcoal bin. They don't seem super easy to come by.

weber.jpg

Nice score Tina. From the pic it looks pretty solid. There is a tension rod that hold the cover on. It's on the right hand side and goes through the cover into two holes in the frame. It's pretty flexible. I used a screwdriver to pop it up so I could grab it and pull. It should come out of the holes in the frame. Getting it back in is a little trickier but not bad. The ignition system is still available, just make sure you look for the 2000 and earlier version.

Attachments

• Weber rod 2.jpg
    Weber rod 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Weber rod.jpg
    Weber rod.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice find on your SSP. I love the SSP and have what my wife might say is too many of them. Fortunately she likes to grill on them also. Now I just to get her stop counting and just enjoy the cooks.

Nice score Tina. From the pic it looks pretty solid. There is a tension rod that hold the cover on. It's on the right hand side and goes through the cover into two holes in the frame. It's pretty flexible. I used a screwdriver to pop it up so I could grab it and pull. It should come out of the holes in the frame. Getting it back in is a little trickier but not bad. The ignition system is still available, just make sure you look for the 2000 and earlier version.
Thanks! Screwdriver worked. I was afraid I was going to break it but it popped out just fine! I'll check out the ignition system next!

That could be a weep ( drain ) hole.
My new one has one about 1/4" wide.
Good luck, nice score and welcome !
Haha I wish that was the case, I'm assuming it got a little too hot near that corner because I can't figure out any other likely cause of the hole, its not even at the bottom.

Attachments

• Bin.jpg
    Bin.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 10
I've sanded the rusty spots down, I'm going to cover these bits with some Rust Reformer, smooth it down and then I'll try painting it with some high temp semi-gloss.

Attachments

• Rust 1.jpg
    Rust 1.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Rust 2.jpg
    Rust 2.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 8

Back