Weber Performer Deluxe - Knob Dysfunctional/Propane Not feeding into ignition tube

Larry Butz

I've owned a Weber Performer Deluxe for the past couple of years and it's been working beautifully until just yesterday. For whatever reason, the propane control knob (OFF/ON) doesn't loosen or tighten anymore. It feels like the knob is simply rotating around the shaft and not doing anything. As a result, there's no propane being fed into the hose (I tested on a new propane tank and had the same issue). I don't know if it's the knob assembly or the hose, but there's no propane actually reaching the ignition tube (and I couldn't smell a gas leak of any kind). I cleaned out the tube just to be sure and it didn't make a difference.

What could be the issue here? Is the whole assembly busted or is the knob simply stuck? I saw on an old thread (from 12 years ago) that the knob can be removed and the shaft turned with a pair of pliers, but how do I remove the knob? Can it be put back into place or does prying the knob off break it?

Hi Larry, I assume your grill looks similar to the one in the picture. There's only two things I can think of that could be wrong. Either the knob is stripped and not turning the valve stem anymore or the valve itself is the problem. If you find a schematic of your grill I imagine you can buy a replacement for either part.Screenshot_20230323-184420.png

Based on the photo below it appears that These parts on a Registered Weber Grill by the original owner are covered for Two(2) or maybe five(5) years from date of purchase.

Attachments

• 295B4B80-328E-4836-9162-588A08D634FB.png
    295B4B80-328E-4836-9162-588A08D634FB.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi Larry, I assume your grill looks similar to the one in the picture. There's only two things I can think of that could be wrong. Either the knob is stripped and not turning the valve stem anymore or the valve itself is the problem. If you find a schematic of your grill I imagine you can buy a replacement for either part.View attachment 68020

Yep, that's the grill! We're gonna have someone come look at it, but I'm glad the part is likely under warranty!

My guess is that it's not turning the knob stem anymore, given how it doesn't tighten/loosen the stem at all when turned.

I have had the same problem before and it was the knob stripped out. To test this, simply remove the plastic knob and turn the valve with pliers and try to start it with either the igniter button or a stick lighter.

Back