Weber One Touch Gold? or Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting to read all the preferences. I can't imagine why anyone would not like the gas igniter, clean, simple, fast. The Performer is just about the perfect grill although a larger size would come in handy from time to time. Those who have two are dealing with this dilemma well. My Performer gets used several times per week, my Weber gaser maybe once a month. Flavor will out over convenience every time in my case.

Bill

Man what a great group of people on here. I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. Final question. Is the extra grilling space such a bonus, no matter how often you grill, that it justifies spending the money for the 26" One touch gold, over the performer with it tables and lighter?

Depends on how many people you cook for most of the time. I cook for me and the wife almost all of the time and space has really never been an issue for me. If you are cooking for up to 6 people, then the Performer is fine.

I would rather have all of the extras that the Performer has than the extra space.

Hi John. I love the extra space on the 26er. And in answer to your question earlier in the thread, I don't find I'm using more charcoal with it. When I'm done, I close all the vents, and the charcoal extinguishes quite quickly, and I usually have half a chimney of left over charcoal for the next night's cook. I use it 4 - 6 times a week (when I'm home), and usually just for 2 or 3 eaters. I may not need all the space for that, but it's really easy to cook a full meal (3 or 4 courses) on it. And when we have friends over on a weekend, and I grill for 10 or more, I really like the space!

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the Performer isn't exactly air tight. There is a small hole in the gas assist starter line that makes it take a while to cool off so it probably burns a little more charcoal per cook than a OTG. It's not a big deal, but it did surprise me at first and it's probably worth noting if you are concerned about charcoal consumption. Having said that, it's not THAT big a deal.

My vote is the Performer. I know it's more expensive but the sturdy cart alone is worth the money. It may seem like alot of money to shell out, but not when you consider Weber's will last for decades. If he is actually going to use the grill, I just don't see how he'll regret having a Performer.

I waited a year before I shelled out the cash for my Performer. After I bought it, my only regret was waiting a year to get it.

Also, used performers around here go for 100 bucks or so on Craigslist. I would much rather have a used (but clean) Performer than have my family pay more for a new OTG. I know that may not fly in your family though. Just want you to know you can find them cheaper if you are patient.

I started out with a 18 silver, hated the ashes, then found a used 22 gold then finally
moved up to the Performer and as everybody has said before, table, starter and bin, it just can't be beat. I picked it up for 200$, there is always a deal to be had, even found a new vintage smokey joe with wooden handles for 10$. The Performer and the Smokey Joe is all I need. I gave the 18 silver to my brother-in-law and he never touches it. The 22 gold is in the basement and keep it has back up or use if renting a cottage. Oh one more thing the starter stopped working and I cleaned the tubes out and still did not work, one call to Weber and one of the gals there told me what to do and its working fine again.

Anthony

One more thing...If your brother happens to be left handed, the Performer might not be the best option as it's obviously built with righty's in mind. Having said that, if I was left handed I'd still rather have the Performer and I'd just fight through it.

Originally posted by John Thom:
What about performer vs 26 inch one touch?

One of my biggest hopes is that someday Weber will combine the two and we will never have to make that choice again.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Justin W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Thom:
What about performer vs 26 inch one touch?

One of my biggest hopes is that someday Weber will combine the two and we will never have to make that choice again.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I would like to add to that if it's Okay?
That the "Performer 26" would be made available here too, not just overseas.
icon_smile.gif
We know how Weber can be.

Well I ordered the one touch gold 26.75 today. Hope I made the right call. Really came down to a comment he made a while back. He wanted try smoking. I figure with the extra space doing some smoking and barbecuing should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back