Weber Kettle Hold Heat Well?

Spencer P

TVWBB Member
Currently I have a "Kingsford" (Made by Blue Rhino) charcoal grill that my wife bought me last Father's Day. After using it for a year, I'm more than disappointed to say. Granted, she was trying to surprise me with a nice gift.

I have noticed that on thicker cuts of meat, it's almost impossible to indirect grill as it takes forever for the meat to get finished. For the type of charcoal, I was using Royal Oak, but recently I have switched to Stubb's as that seems to burn longer and more even.

Today, I grilled 2" thick pork chops. Since I was out of Stubb's, I used some RO that I had left over. I used a full Weber chimney full of coals. After searing them, I moved them to the other side of the grill for indirect cooking. I also raised the grate to the highest position to get the heat as parallel to the meat as possible. It was a little windy here today in Florida, however I wouldn't think that it would kill the grill.

My question is this, is the performance of a Weber grill superior than everything out there? I bought a WSM about 8 months ago and it has been a joy to use versus the old Brickman that I had previous. I like how the WSM pieces sit in each other making a tight seal around each part.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. I'm looking at getting a Weber Performer. Thanks in advance...

Spencer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spencer P:

My question is this, is the performance of a Weber grill superior than everything out there?

Spencer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. It's the original, and the standard that all others try to copy.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yep. It's the original, and the standard that all others try to copy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no one, NO ONE. Makes a charcoal grill better than WEBER.

No One.

When I do indirect I like to use my fire bricks to hold the coals to one side. I find a deep bed held by the bricks burns hotter and longer so I have never had a problem not getting the needed roasting heat for indirect. I would think though that a full chimney without retainers would do the same.

With the bricks I can use half a chimney. And have plenty of power for steaks

Spencer. The Weber kettle was designed in the 50's to deal with Chicago winters. As far as holding heat it has a long history of doing just that.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Spencer I only had my peformer for a week....cooked on it twice.It cooks like you wouldn't believe and yeas it will hold the heat.I can cook with 12 briqs .....just for the two of us.I do love the gas starter.
I had a weber kettle hand me down in the early eighties ....I forgot how good they will cook.

Weber grills are a little more money but worth it. I had the same 22 inch kettle grill for over 20 years. It was just the black standard one and I left it outside in Michigan for over 20 years! The only thing I had to do was buy a new cooking grate for it one time! I gave it away so I could buy a performer from weber. Now I keep that ion the garage. Not only do they last they cook some great BBQ!

I appreciate everyone's prompt response! It sounds like I will be purchasing a new Performer. At first I didn't think I was interested in the gas ignition, but after everyone recommendation and what I have researched, it sounds like this is a very handy feature to have. The only concern that I had was that after it ages if the ignition would fail to fire. I guess I could use a flame to get the gas burning if the starter ever stopped working.

Thanks again everyone. I have been a reader and contributor here for awhile now and I like how there is so much commodere to help each other. Thanks again...

Spencer

Spencer, as far as metal grills there isn't a better one. There is something magical to the round shape and the dome along with air vent below the fuel vs the front/back and left/right of other metal grills. They are so simple yet effective! Notice my tools in my signature!

I don't think it's as much that the grill is losng heat, but that it does not move around very well in the grill. Those Kingsford grills have some cool features for direct grilling -- the cooking area, and the adjustable height charcoal grate, for example. But it does not handle indirect cooking very well. For whatever reason, heat does not move to the other side of the grill very well. The Weber kettle is much better for the latter type of cooking.

My 22 1/2" OTS is the best grill that I've ever had or will ever have. Don't remember when I got mine but had it for a long time. It's my "go to" grill. Don't know about Amazon but you can get one at just Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards for $89. No way ... No how ... Can you beat that!

At least spring is coming so this might possibly be going on sale. That is what my wife always tells me, "It was on sale."

I'm sold on the gas ignition system. I was at Lowe's today buying more Stubb's and I saw they had the propane canisters there. They were two for $5. I thought this was a great price. Ahhh, can't wait to get my hands on one of these. I hope this will solve many of my heat issues.

I appreciate everyone's response. This makes buying a purchase such as this much easier. Thanks...

Spencer

I have a 22 1/2 OTS and it is built like a tank. I stopped by Home Depot couple weeks ago to see if they had any good deals still going on with the Weber..Unfortunately they did not. I am wanting to get a 26" grill for the extra room. My wife spotted an off brand one and said check it out. I looked at it, and it was made of tin..Definitely would not last in this Georgia weather. Just compare the Weber side by side with an off brand and you can tell the difference immediately. My Smokey Joe was built better than that off brand 26" grill.

The performer is a really nice grill and I may well have bought one if HD had one in stock that fateful day. But I ended up with a One-Touch Gold instead. However that and the OTS will cook just as well as the performer. The performer does have a handy lighting system and a temp gauge, but those can be overcome with a chimney packed with lightly oiled newspaper (AB tip) and a sub-$10 gas grill replacement gauge.

I have a gasser and a WSM, but the OTG gets the most use by far.

Spencer,

I used Chargrillers for about 8 years. I was pretty happy with them, but didn't realize how good a grill could be until I got my Weber Kettle. The thing is MADE for indirect grilling. Some combition of magic and engineering makes it so steady and even with indirect that I don't bother flipping or rearranging the food when cooking indirect, unless a piece is unusually close to the fire.

I'm also glad I sprang for the Performer. The table and ignition is nice. When the igniter does go out, it is easily replaceable. I bought mine around late Spring, and use it 2-3 times a week. I love it so much, I'm grilling all through winter for the first time.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to get a Performer along with a rotisserie. As I mentioned before, my first Weber product was the 22.5 WSM and I have been amazed how long it will cook along on a single load of charcoal.

With everything I have read and with everyone's recommendations, I can see that this will be a no brainer purchase. All I have to do now is call the trash company and tell them to haul away all of the old grilling/bbq equipment to make room for more Weber items! Thanks again...

Spencer

Back