Weber kamado E6 first cook question

So I am coming from a vision kamado and I always used lump. I had those little rectangular fire starters. They worked great.

I have lump and the fire starters for my E6. But I have never used charcoal baskets before... Nor have I used any kettles in the past.

I think I'm going to do either St Louis or baby back ribs this weekend. If I go that route, should I fill both charcoal baskets... And will that last for a 5-hour low and slow cook I'm about 250°?

I suppose I could always put the lump on top of the grill grate without the baskets, but then I'm thinking the very small pieces may fall through the grate and end up in the bottom of the kettle where they won't burn?

I usually purchase the Royal oak in the 15 lb bag at walmart. Work well in the ceramic kamado. I did pick up a bag of b&b lump based on a review and images I saw... Seems to have larger pieces overall compared to the Royal oak.

Anyway, any advice is much appreciated.

in short, yes the charcoal baskets are your friend and will keep your lump neat and easy to manage (and relight too for next cook).

i only use briqs, on rare occasion now, on the coal grate. i am using my CB's almost all the time for direct and indirect cooks. and i used the CBs last night in the lower position along with the deflector plate to my rib and char siu cook. the CBs make cleanup easy, especially for reuse, and also for upper level cooks.

i always use a chimney. you can read my post on how i light my chimney and can get fully hot coals in 10 mins and then ready to cook in 20 mins. i'll link that here shortly. here's that link on chimney and lighting my E6: https://tvwbb.com/threads/just-wanted-to-brag-a-little.88296/post-991507

yes, you'll need both CBs to keep heat and have enough fuel. i also use the CBs and place the very large lump in between the two CBs for longer cooks so i can better manage large and small lump pieces (i use JD XL for my lump and love it, super clean and hot).

if you have the time, do the St Lous at 225F and go the distance, which'll be 4-5 hours with a wrap once the bark is set on your ribs (foil with butter, more rub and honey, if you like honey and some AJ). then go unwrap to reset your bark.

the E6 holds temp and heat like all Kamados. the E6 is an incredibly well insulated cooker. you're going to need to learn to adjust using this cooker as it really cooks food well and efficiently.

note, i always wrap my deflector plate (which is how you're going to cook these ribs, in heavy aluminum foil which makes cleanup a snap.) literally peel off the burnt bits and crap that are on the foil and toss the used foil.

i sent u a PM if u want to reach out. a call might be more productive and fast than just the forum. congrats and enjoy your new best friend. you're in for some good cookin.

Last edited:
The E6 is just wonderful. Just don’t over think your cook.
Ribs and beans, 275, JD lump.
Make sure you use/make a drip pan. I get wide HD aluminum foil and make my own drip pans. These ribs were done with no foil or water pan.
View attachment 38086
@Mark Foreman, is your grill near-new in this pic or do you have a magic cleaning method? mine is ready for its first deep clean with 90 days of ownership and many cooks. also, do you use a catch pan for all your cooks, or just lower level coal cooks? i find myself using the upper coal position more than the lower coal position as i tend to do more grilling than smoking/slower cooks of late. just curious how you're using your E6.

Back