Weber Genesis Silver B Grill Model 2251398 Restore

Dan Coll

Background

I purchased a Weber Genesis Silver B Grill for a friend to restore it.

Model 2251398. Gave Weber picture to find it since description worn off on Grill and now have correct manual also.

Three burners (crossover ignition) with table pull out left side and table left side with table right side.

It has a beautiful green lid and the outside looks good.

All open bottom but has bottom basket.

Pictures when I fix my last item

Likely 15-20 years old.

Grease and carbon removal
  • Took it apart except for frame to strip the baked on grease away using Discovery Products Carbon Off Cleaner (Read Directions). Worked great plus using 3400 psi power washer. Not clean inside at all. Rinsed with Dawn soap and water.
  • Inside is incredibly solid

What has already been replaced by previous owner.

• Burners, Grates and in good shape,
  • Porcelein flavor bars have some rust for sure but still intact (likely original). Per Weber. Keep using.
  • Gas line hose.
  • Bottom tray – rust only on tray frame a little
  • Missing toggle ignition tab (can’t find) but can still light using red button below.
Replaced or bought new

• Oem -Warm up basket, Old one rusted out.
  • Aftermarket – Cover (3 year warranty) plus grill will be in outside porch with a roof only.
  • OEM -Aluminum grease catch containers
  • Aftermarket. - Bolts and leveling mounts for rusted out support brackets on bottom. (Found out when I moved it to a friends house. Rest of frame fine.) Received idea from HOW TO: Weber Frame Cross Member repair | The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board (tvwbb.com)Bruce Thank You
Comments

• Did cost a lot (About $250) and went with OEM as much as I could since had some poor experiences with aftermarket. Comparable new now is at least $500 - $600.
  • Still need another warming basket. Old one missing.
  • Tank was expensive but good quality as was cover.
  • Some rust holes in bottom frame support but not bad.
  • Weber bolts 6 bucks a piece, plus shipping???
  • Weber Cover - Almost $100. Bad experience with these. They crack in a few years. Went aftermarket.
  • Careful using that degreaser. Very dangerous. Use proper PPE. ONLY OUTSDE. You can get seriously hurt.

COSTS

Purchase price - $50.

Discovery Products Carbon Off Cleaner (16-Ounce Pint) -$24.15

Weber 7514 Warm-Up Basket (24.3 x 4 x 0.6) -$51.54

After market Cover- $45.31

Weber 6415 Small, 10 pack, Silver Grease containers – $9.34

After Market Repair Bolts - $3.00

Insert for frame McMASTER Carr - 2417T27 Leveling Mount Inserts for 1" Outer Square Tubular Leg, 1/4"-20 Thread, Packs of 4 1 Pack 1 - $13.62

OEM Black Caps for wheels -$9.45

New tank from Uhaul - $45 filled

The tanks are a little bigger, filled more accurately than exchange at big box and save money in the long run. They also have a gauge.

Labor

Labor was huge but learned alot and easier next time.

Dan,

Looks like you are most of the way to having a long lasting classic Weber. While it is true that some after market parts are "iffy" we have a list of stuff that others have used that works well. In some cases - such as grates and flavorizer bars by Dave Santana - aka "rcplanebuyer" - the quality far exceeds that of OEM Weber.

These "sticky" threads have a wealth of experience gained by member here over a number of years. Because of that, sometimes parts that are alluded to are no longer available or prices have changed. Still, there is a lot here to help you with your final run on this one and any "next grill" you decide to tackle.

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into the aftermarket suggestion and do searches for other information already in the platform. Nice site.

I have repaired grills before but this one was a more in depth but actually fun.

Back