Weber Genesis - Identify if this is a natural gas grill?

DaveS-MPLS

I picked up a Weber Genesis Grill to replace my aging gas grill.

It needed love but was worth fixing over the other grill it replaced. The Weber was missing parts and very dirty. I cleaned it up, found a regulator and propane bracket since it didn't have these, and I still don't know where this "Manifold Support Bracket" that came with the pile of parts goes (see photo) and fired it up.

Woo it burns hot.
The grill with one burner on low sits at 450 F

As I try to diagnose what is wrong with the grill and how I can get it to do low temperatures, I've realized that NG grills are a thing, and maybe this Weber is one. How can I identify if it is a Natural Gas version? Did they make Genesis 1000's, Durawood, NG? Can I convert it to propane if so?

Attachments

• Grill.jpeg
    Grill.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Manifold.jpeg
    Manifold.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Low.jpeg
    Low.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 29
I picked up a Weber Genesis Grill to replace my aging gas grill.

It needed love but was worth fixing over the other grill it replaced. The Weber was missing parts and very dirty. I cleaned it up, found a regulator and propane bracket since it didn't have these, and I still don't know where this "Manifold Support Bracket" that came with the pile of parts goes (see photo) and fired it up.

Woo it burns hot.
The grill with one burner on low sits at 450 F

As I try to diagnose what is wrong with the grill and how I can get it to do low temperatures, I've realized that NG grills are a thing, and maybe this Weber is one. How can I identify if it is a Natural Gas version? Did they make Genesis 1000's, Durawood, NG? Can I convert it to propane if so?

You just need to find yourself a LP one and swap the entire manifold. If it didnt. have all the scale stuff its probably NG

I know someone with a very nice LP manifold wanting to trade me for my NG manifold but I haven't found the time. If you're interested I could get you in contact with him for a swap

The Weber was missing parts and very dirty. I cleaned it up, found a regulator and propane bracket since it didn't have these
If it didn’t have these parts, it almost definitely has an NG Manifold + NG Valves

What’s happening is that propane is gushing out through those larger orifices and you’re getting super hot temps. Like, will damage your Flavorizer Bars and Grates temps.

You can just find another donor LP Grill (Genesis 1000 - 5000) and use the manifold from that one, and/or any other parts from it to spruce it up.

Or, (and I just read this recently on the forum), you can call Weber directly and see if you can purchase a Genesis 1000 LP Manifold directly from them if they still have any in stock available.

Also, to identify the Serial # or NG / LP markings, you can check the White Sticker on the end of the control panel (in your Manifold.jpg photo).
If the text is no longer visible, I read on these forums that you can use a UV Light to read what used to be printed on there. If you can read the Serial Number, you can plug it into the Weber.com website to find out which version the grill is (LP or NG).

The curvy part of the “Manifold Support Bracket” cups the manifold itself, and the top part hooks onto the metal shelf above it (where the igniter click-button sits).

Thank you all. Since the grill was in pieces when I picked it up I assumed some had just gone missing, and just had the "put it together and find parts mentality" but when it was
- Regulator
- Propane Scale/Holder
And the Temperature Issues & No Sticker for LP weight I agree - The clues are all there.

I wonder if I have a UV light somewhere to try the "faded sticker trick".

Josh, I'm going to look at my options and will message if I have time to swap - might be a good option.

Back