Weber Genesis Gold Side Controls HOT, HOT, HOT Change Orifices? :o)

Drake Miller

Question.... I restored a Genesis Gold a year ago and reused the LP Pressure Regulator and Manifold assembly. It's always been LP, not NG. My issue is HIGH Temperatures 550 to 600F with all three on Low setting. Shutting the middle one off, helps, but still 490 to 500F+... :( So, thinking it was the Regulator, I replaced it with a new one. No improvement re high temps. Today I replaced the Manifold and Valves with New Weber unit (LP). Nope, Still High Temps. There are times I want to direct cook with all 3 burners around 375-400F. Thinking that I can change out the Valve Orifices and go down a size to reduce the amount of fuel. Has anyone else had this issue and or changed Orifices to calm down the high temps?

Don't go changing anything out. First and foremost, make sure you have a proper LP regulator. Many new aftermarket ones are labeled as "low pressure 1 PSI to 1.5 PSI) well that is not a correct regulator. As the correct pressure in PSI for an LP grill is 11" WC (water column) or IIRC the conversion correctly .375 PSI.

Welcome Drake,

Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? I've had a couple fail and sometimes they read high when they fail.

Pull the thermometer out and put the tip in boiling water. If it doesn't read 100C / 212F ( or corrected boiling temp for higher altitude ) then its an easy item to replace.

I would start there first.

edit: here is a pic of one with the "TEST" temp marked.

1705004223928.png

Don't go changing anything out. First and foremost, make sure you have a proper LP regulator. Many new aftermarket ones are labeled as "low pressure 1 PSI to 1.5 PSI) well that is not a correct regulator. As the correct pressure in PSI for an LP grill is 11" WC (water column) or IIRC the conversion correctly .375 PSI.
Thanks for the response. I had a couple of older regulators that I swapped out to try and see if it helped. It did not. Do you know of any in line gas regulators with a gauge that is available?

Welcome Drake,

Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? I've had a couple fail and sometimes they read high when they fail.

Pull the thermometer out and put the tip in boiling water. If it doesn't read 100C / 212F ( or corrected boiling temp for higher altitude ) then its an easy item to replace.

I would start there first.

edit: here is a pic of one with the "TEST" temp marked.

View attachment 85020
thanks for the response. I tested my gauge with boiling water. I'm at 1000' elevation. My gauge was showing about 215 F. Should have been around 210 F. I've ordered a new gauge. In order to BBQ at 450-475 F, I'm down to using the front burner only. ?

How sure are you it was always an LP grill? Also how sure are you someone did not do something "amateur" to it and hog the orifices out in an effort to try and "convert" it?
Otherwise there is no reason for this to be happening. Even if you had one of those junk regulators it would not run like that. If it ran fine before you "restored" I would also be retracing my steps. Because it ain't right

So, you tested the thermometer and it's only about 5° off. You tried different regulators. You replaced the manifold with a new and correct one for that grill. I assume you are running the grill with a decent set of flavorizer bars installed? The grill still runs at up to 600° with all three burners on low? I can't think of any reasons why this would be the case. I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of your setup.

A simple way to check orifices is to grab a 3/64" drill bit and try to stick the shank into the orifice. If it goes in, it is NOT a propane orifice and is either one designed for NG or one that has been bored out.

Back