Weber Genesis E330 Refurb

Richard_P

Hi all,

I've finally caved in and purchased my first gas bbq! However not wanting to full commit to a brand new one, I thought I'd pick up a cheap one off of eBay and see if I can put some elbow grease in and tart up and old one. Overall I think it's in OK condition, well everything "works" but needs a very good clean, there is significant rust to the LHS of the trolley, and the hinge pins on the lid, but other than that I think it's salvageable (I hope)!

I've looked over the parts list, and the cost of a LHS trolley side is not worth it, so I'm going to sand back and rustoleum it and see how it goes, the previous owner was using the cast iron grill the wrong way round, so the right side is actually in very decent nick. The only really odd one is that one of the draw guides for the drip pan has been badly torn, I've tried to find a part number for this, but might have to just try and fabricate a replacement myself, any suggestions?

On the positive side, the cook box is rust free and no damage and just needs proper clean I hope, and the flavorizors are hole free and look in good condition, but likewise need a proper clean, one question on the burners, do they just need brushing, or can you clean them more aggressively?!

I found a really good guide on here for restoring the weber badge, so going to have a go at that, and minor annoyance is the melted handle bracket, can't seem to find replacement ones, but sure can bodge something!

Any comments or recommendations would be very welcome!

Cheers

Richard

IMG_20220726_202052.jpg IMG_20220726_201820.jpgIMG_20220726_201928.jpgIMG_20220726_201749.jpgIMG_20220726_202116.jpg IMG_20220726_202123.jpgIMG_20220726_202109.jpg

Last edited:
That grill looks to have caught on fire at some point!

For the rust on the side panel, as long as it clean on the floor and not majorly rusted out, just sand it, hit it with rust reformer then spray it. Massey Ferguson Grey (farm and implement paint) from rustoleum is a nearly perfect match.

For the burner tubes, you can use a wire wheel on a grinder, or I've used simple green with a steel or brass wire brush, and it cleans them up nicely, also keeps the dust down, then I just rinse the tubes and let them dry.

For the weber logo... the spray paint and sand back method works for the older cast aluminum logos, that is a plated chrome logo, I am not sure it would work out in your favor. Unless I haven't seen a restoration method posted here for that generation grill.

For the melted handle mount, maybe look around for free or cheap grills as donors? Any of the newer style grills should have similar mounting points for the handles.

That grill looks to have caught on fire at some point!

For the rust on the side panel, as long as it clean on the floor and not majorly rusted out, just sand it, hit it with rust reformer then spray it. Massey Ferguson Grey (farm and implement paint) from rustoleum is a nearly perfect match.

For the burner tubes, you can use a wire wheel on a grinder, or I've used simple green with a steel or brass wire brush, and it cleans them up nicely, also keeps the dust down, then I just rinse the tubes and let them dry.

For the weber logo... the spray paint and sand back method works for the older cast aluminum logos, that is a plated chrome logo, I am not sure it would work out in your favor. Unless I haven't seen a restoration method posted here for that generation grill.

For the melted handle mount, maybe look around for free or cheap grills as donors? Any of the newer style grills should have similar mounting points for the handles.
Thank you so much, glad the trolley should be salvageable, that rust patch is mirrored on inside of the trolley, but other than that the trolley is in really good condition, so not sure what's happened to it, put thought maybe water damage, but does look like it's might have had a grease fire or something before which would explain the melted bracket! Good to know on the colour match, we don't have a huge selection of spray paint over here, I can just about find Universal Grey!

I don't have an angle grinder, but I've got a dremel with a wire wheel, and also have an oscillating multi tool with sander but might try the wire brush method first!

I didn't realise the badge was chrome plated!! The guide on here must be for older badges!

Thanks again for all the help, will upload some "after" photos after I give it a good degrease and clean over the weekend!

Cheers,

Richard

I agree with @RichB NH it looks like it had a fire. The rust pattern on the "trolley" seems to support that ( btw, we call them frames or carts across the pond )

This melted part is on the inside and not visible when the door is closed.

1659025094029.png

Weber sells a replacement handle for $34 USD but not the plastic parts. I'm sure there's a cost effective way way to mount the handle. The pic below shows what it used to look like.

I think I'd try to fashion up an inner sleeve out of PVC pipe and use a 1 1/2 inch stainless fender washer to support it. A wooden dowel would probably work.

1659025558604.png

I agree with @RichB NH it looks like it had a fire. The rust pattern on the "trolley" seems to support that ( btw, we call them frames or carts across the pond )

This melted part is on the inside and not visible when the door is closed.

View attachment 56302

Weber sells a replacement handle for $34 USD but not the plastic parts. I'm sure there's a cost effective way way to mount the handle. The pic below shows what it used to look like.

I think I'd try to fashion up an inner sleeve out of PVC pipe and use a 1 1/2 inch stainless fender washer to support it. A wooden dowel would probably work.

View attachment 56304

I can work with "Frames" not sure I can get on with carts ;)

Correct, it's just the bracket on the inside, from the outside there's no visible damage and there is actually very little play in the handle itself, it's just annoying to look at! Think it'll be last on the list, and can't justify a whole new handle assembly, trying not to spend more in parts than I have for the whole bbq, made that mistake when I was building my UDS!

I'm going to keep an eye out for similar sized brackets that I might have lying around the garage!

Is your cook box melted or warped at all?
Typical if it had a significant grease fire.
There is a really small area just next to the cutout to the drip tray which to my eye looked slightly warped but I thought it might have been fabricated like that to channel whatevers going into the tray, but it coincidentally is where the damaged draw guide is, so something has happened there! Will try and get a better photo once I've stripped it down.

There is a really small area just next to the cutout to the drip tray which to my eye looked slightly warped but I thought it might have been fabricated like that to channel whatevers going into the tray, but it coincidentally is where the damaged draw guide is, so something has happened there! Will try and get a better photo once I've stripped it down.
The bottom edge of the cook box should be uniform all the way around. I have come across a couple that were so bad, you couldn't even remove the grease tray.

I contacted Weber to see if they could help on the handle bracket and grease tray guide and they confirmed could only get the bracket as part of a whole new handle assembly and they couldn't help with the grease tray, but credit where credit is due, they offered to send out a replacement logo badge for free, which was a unexpectedly kind and unprovoked gesture, one less thing to work out!

Back