Weber Genesis 300 series deformed cook box questions

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all!!!!
Ok I picked up a flipper for $30. A typical 3 burner Genesis 300 series. It was dirty but in just a couple of hours it has increased in value 10 fold. I was bummed to see that the inward sloping lower portion of the cook box was sagging on one side toward the deep side of the large grease trey underneath. I assume the cook box must have overheated to get it to deform like that.....most likely a grease fire did the damage. Note there are no signs of any other fire damage anywhere on the grill. I disassembled the control panel and even removed the manifold. My questions.....
Do u guys think I can break out the good ole rubber mallet and carefully hammer this lower lip back in line? Its not real bad...just a dip where it should be a straight line. I was thinking it might even help if I heat the area with a torch then strike it with a hammer.

I dont think this will have any effect on the grills performance or safety but what do u guys think? Absolute worse case scenario I guess could be the grease running down this dip in the lower lip of the cook box could catch fire faster then if there was no dip, but I am reaching here. I just hate selling grills that I have to apologize for...I prefer them to be as close to perfect as I can get them. You guys know the drill :)
Do you think Weber would warranty it even though I am not the original owner?

Thanks

Jim, if you can find the serial # try to register it with Weber. I would think they would warranty that.

Ya the cook box is 25 years or somethin like that right? But I thought it had to be the original owner.....but if they did not register it I guess I could. I just hate to take advantage ......but I am saving one of their 300's to live on for another 10 years.

300's are less than twenty years old at this point, I think it's worth a try. I also think that's the second one of those with that same problem on here in like a week.

If it got real hot and sagged, i suppose it could get real hot and un-sag. I am wary of the hammer idea, however. The original damage was a gradual bend, not a sudden, percussive impact.

I guess my advice would be to try Weber as plan A. If that fails, you have to really think about the risk/reward of potentially cracking an otherwise ok grill. I would probably invert it, get it hot and tap at it with a little sledge to see what happens. Do be careful that you don't go too far the other way.

I dont think this will have any effect on the grills performance or safety but what do u guys think?

If this is true, I would leave it alone. If it was thin enough to warp, it will probably crack or shatter easily. A cosmetic imperfection is preferable to a broken firebox any day in my book.

If the sagging doesn't impact the ability to slide the grease pan in and out, then don't worry about it. If it does, usually you can simply grind off enough of the sagging to allow the drip pan to clear. This is not an uncommon situation.

Back