Weber Genesis 1000 burners will only stay lit at high setting

Frank_Rizzo

Hi all, I am restoring a Weber Genesis 1000 and put brand new burner tubes in, but what I've found is that they will only stay lit when the valves are in high. In medium (let alone low) they'll snuff out. I did notice the burner tubes have an adjustable air vent near the venturi, but I don't know how to adjust them. Has anyone had this issue and could give me some pointers on how to adjust? Thanks for any help!

Frank, I’m no expert. I did a search and found a couple video links on the matter. I hope this helps.

Honestly they should not need adjustment. If the grill worked with the old burners, try them again, compare the shutter opening between the 2 sets. However they are NOT meant to cure (nor can they) a malfunction. So I would be going through and back tracing everything

I agree with the above. If the shutters are in the half way position or close to it, that would not cause any issues like you are having.
Probably your regulator or tank has the safety valve shut down.
1. Shut all knobs/valves off.
2. shut the valve on the tank
3. remove the gas hose from the tank
4. wait about 30 seconds
5. reconnect the gas hose
6. SLOOOOWWWLLLY open the tank valve for about 2 turns and then open it the rest of the way
7. turn on the first burner
8. hit the igniter button

Two ways the bypass normally gets activated and causes these problems is:
1. opening the tank valve to quickly which begins a fast surge of propane into the grill line. This is sensed as a leak in the system which causes the bypass mechanism to activate.
2. opening the tank with one or more of the burner valves open does the same thing by allowing the sudden rush of gas in the fuel line which activates the bypass mechanism.

Shutting down the tank and disconnecting the hose from it for a short period of time will typically reset that bypass mechanism.

Last edited:
Do what Bruce said. I am surprised at how often this happens to me, and I know better but I get in a hurry. I always shut my tank off after a cook (I know many people don't, but if you ever lose a tank of gas to a slow leak you may get into the habit) and the bypass activates a good percentage of the tme because I open the valve too fast. Just this last week I fired up the G1200, all 3 burners on high while I prepped a whole chicken for the roto. I come out to put the chicken on and the grilll was only 300deg. Shut the tank off, rap it on the concrete pad a couple of times to drop the float, open the valve S-L-O-W-L-Y this time, put all 3 burners on high and temp was over 400 in a matter of very few minutes.

For the technically inclined: Pic of an OPD here.

Last edited:

Back