Weber Fire Starter Cubes

I just bought the weber cubes for the first time today. I am now hooked. So much easier than news paper.

That thing is pretty ridiculous.... Seems like it wouldn't light as fast since it doesn't have any holes running up the chimney. Too expensive as well for what it is since a Wagner gun is about $30 I think. LOL.

I first learned about the Weber cubes on here some time ago and love them. I ran out the other day and had to use newspaper ... ONCE. I had forgotten the mess it left on my grate. Made a special trip to Home Depot just to pick up more cubes.

What I love about Weber cubes is it's "one and done"... I've never used more than one to light a chimney. Before the cubes, I'd had newspaper burn out and not discovered it until 20 minutes later when I thought it should be ready to dump the briquets. THAT was a bummer... and I hated the ash when it DID burn!

I agree completely Mike, been a few times that I went out after almost having side dishes done and keeping warm that I found a chimney full of cold charcoal. That sucks because then your sides get dry or if they have cream or cheese in them, you get an oil slick and milk solids. Not good.

That said, the other night when I was firing up to wok cook on my chimney wouldn't light past midways. The bag of Royal Oak that I had was almost at the bottom and there was a lot of smaller pieces. Think that all the small pieces jammed up the top and wouldn't let air through? Didn't know if there had to be air spaces in the charcoal all the way up the chimney or if it would still light when packed real tightly.

It still lit after I dumped it in a tall pile, but took a good bit longer for the grill to get ripping hot.

...The bag of Royal Oak that I had was almost at the bottom and there was a lot of smaller pieces. Think that all the small pieces jammed up the top and wouldn't let air through? Didn't know if there had to be air spaces in the charcoal all the way up the chimney or if it would still light when packed real tightly.

It still lit after I dumped it in a tall pile, but took a good bit longer for the grill to get ripping hot.

Had had this same thing happen to me using small pieces of lump left over from a previous cook that I put in a chimney. Lesson learned.

Just want to also chime in as being in favor of the starter cubes. Picked up a pack at Lowe's this morning and just gave 'em a try-- forget the newspaper, I'm sticking with this. So much easier, and like others have said, didn't have the worries about it actually getting started, especially with today being fairly gusty. I say these cubes were easier because I barely had to hold my kitchen lighter up to them before they got started.

I used two cubes today and it got up and going without problem. Will probably experiment with just one to see how it goes.

Just want to also chime in as being in favor of the starter cubes. Picked up a pack at Lowe's this morning and just gave 'em a try-- forget the newspaper, I'm sticking with this. So much easier, and like others have said, didn't have the worries about it actually getting started, especially with today being fairly gusty. I say these cubes were easier because I barely had to hold my kitchen lighter up to them before they got started.

I used two cubes today and it got up and going without problem. Will probably experiment with just one to see how it goes.

That makes me pumped to hear someone some one see this thread and decide to give them a try. Same thing that happened to me when I saw someone post about them on the forum somewhere in some random thread about them being good, why I wanted to start another thread just to get the move going again!

While I can not think of anything better do with the Birmingham news than light a fire I prefer the ease of the cubes.

Back