Weber Crafted Griddle warning - Season the bottom

Yup, common to season both sides of cast iron pans for just that reason. My round lodge griddle pan will start to rust in the bottom after a few weeks of use. And that's inside where it's dry

I have a cast iron flat pan that I use quite a bit and never had I had to deal with any significant rust on the bottom. I don't season it either, at least I have not in the last few years that I can recall.

I have a cast iron flat pan that I use quite a bit and never had I had to deal with any significant rust on the bottom. I don't season it either, at least I have not in the last few years that I can recall.
Not even the light beginnings of rust?

I guess so. But I don't really do anything about it except wipe it off. I think the key is to not be dunking the darn thing in the sink full of water. Most of the time, all I do is simply grab a paper towel and wipe off the top and put it back in the cupboard after using it. If you scrub it clean with soap and water, you remove a lot of the seasoning and natural protection from the light oil left behind from the cook. And yes it is very non-stick.

I guess so. But I don't really do anything about it except wipe it off. I think the key is to not be dunking the darn thing in the sink full of water. Most of the time, all I do is simply grab a paper towel and wipe off the top and put it back in the cupboard after using it. If you scrub it clean with soap and water, you remove a lot of the seasoning and natural protection from the light oil left behind from the cook. And yes it is very non-stick.
I'm the anomaly among cast iron people. While I have an slightly embarrassingly large collection,a few quite old and slightly rare, I still wash with soap. I've actually got a good enough season on them so that I've had the wife leave one in the sink overnight full of soap and water with no oil effects. The only one that has that slight issue is the round griddle. All I can figure is the real high heat, repeatedly, burns the season off the bottom. Either way, of what you do works then keep doing it. That's how I've always felt when it comes to old ci, I certainly don't get as excited as some of the collectors about how they need to be handled

The Weber Crafted Griddle is a different problem. It's big and heavy. According to the directions, to clean it, you first scrape it, then put some water on it while hot and wipe the water away. I then re-oil it and wipe again. There is a drain hole so water can drip underneath. So the underside can get wet but you can't lift it up while still hot.

I’ve restored a lot of cast iron and have never had surface rust appear after seasoning it. I always season at least four times before I use it I rinse it out as soon as I’m done cooking and put it back on the burner it was cooking on.

I'm the anomaly among cast iron people. While I have an slightly embarrassingly large collection,a few quite old and slightly rare, I still wash with soap. I've actually got a good enough season on them so that I've had the wife leave one in the sink overnight full of soap and water with no oil effects. The only one that has that slight issue is the round griddle. All I can figure is the real high heat, repeatedly, burns the season off the bottom. Either way, of what you do works then keep doing it. That's how I've always felt when it comes to old ci, I certainly don't get as excited as some of the collectors about how they need to be handled
I also wash mine. Scrub carefully but completey. Then re-oil and heat up.
When used outside there are advantages. I can oil the whole pan inside and out.
Disadvantage is the high heat the bottom gets and then leaving outside some days.

Works. Worth its weight in...

Back