Weber Chimney

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I found a weber chimney starter at a local BBQ store. $15, had to buy it. What a major difference. I bought 2 of those home depot starters for $7 a piece. I was always having to restart it 2 or 3 times before they would kick in. This starter has a great design. Bigger, more flow, arched bottom makes for better flame spread. This is a MUST HAVE. I lit it once, and wsa ready in no time on 1 start.

I will have to second that. I just bought one today. I can't say it any better than you just did!!
icon_smile.gif

My wife bought me one as a surprise a few weeks after we got the Kettle. Once we used it, we bought one for each of our father's. My Dad actually pulled his kettle out from the rafters and uses it more than his Holland.

If he could find someone to buy his Holland, he's get himself a new Genesis Silver

Yes the Weber chimneys are great.
icon_cool.gif
Now if you do the MM alot then you'll want to invert the grate at the bottom of the chimney to hold them 10-15 briqs in the center of the chimney instead of them falling off to the side, for easy lighting of said briqs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Brian, dumb question. How do you invert the grate in the chimney????
Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_cool.gif
Now if you do the MM alot then you'll want to invert the grate at the bottom of the chimney to hold them 10-15 briqs in the center of the chimney instead of them falling off to the side, for easy lighting of said briqs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by paul h:
Brian, dumb question. How do you invert the grate in the chimney????<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_cool.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well it takes some doing but it can be done. The grate at the bottom points up like a pyramid and the small amount of briqs needed for the MM just fall to the sides of the chimney. Now if you pry and pull like Hell you can get the grate out and turn it upsidedown.
icon_smile.gif
IIRC Keri C is the one who posted about this a year or 2 ago. Here's a pic of the bottom of the chimney.
ITRNX-Chimney.jpg

Another alternative is to leave the Weber chimney intact, turn it upside down, drop a Weber starter cube into the cone, place however many briquets on top and light the cube from underneath. This lets you do Minion starts, but also retains the original design of the apparatus for standard usage.

I use metal coffee cans with both ends removed. I have 1,2&3lb cans with my chimney. The cans help keep the briquettes together when I only need a few. Our coffee now comes in plastic so I will have to find a different can when these burn thru.

or... for minion method... you just use "el cheapo" chimney for $5 at KMart. Weber chimney for all other applications, but for small amounts, el cheapo works well.

Originally posted by Doug D:
Another alternative is to leave the Weber chimney intact, turn it upside down, drop a Weber starter cube into the cone, place however many briquets on top and light the cube from underneath. This lets you do Minion starts, but also retains the original design of the apparatus for standard usage.

Thats exactly what I do. Turn it over and put the kingsford in the bottom.

The best way to light the chimney is to spray Pam on two paper towles, both sides, and light them under the chimney. Cheap and always works!

Not trying to be too sarcastic
icon_wink.gif
, but why are starters needed for chimneys? Paper works fine doesn't it? Is it just another product that we don't really need, but buy because we're caught up in the BBQ FEVER so to speak? I mean, do we need a special sarter for the lighter...maybe a thimble-like thumb guard maybe?

Just wondering... Sell me.
icon_razz.gif

I don't think you need starters. And I found that newspaper ash never really burnt all the way doown and I would have sah all over as I poured out the coals. That is why I switched to spryaing pam on two-three paper towels. Try it once and you will never use newspaper again.

I use a gas burner like a turkey fryer burner and it works great for me. In about 3 or 4 minutes it is blazing so I shut the gas off after that and its ready in about 10 minutes or so. No mess at all.

Back