Weber 9890 Gas Barbecue Rotisserie

JoeyS

TVWBB Fan
Found a Rotisserie I am planning to pick it up for $20. Seller says its never been used and item number is #9890. Planning to use it on my Genesis 1000.

217417960_10223477557480537_1352616694524055185_n.jpg

Wondering if these are all the parts below (Found picture from amazon). Anything I should check besides making sure it spins and the parts from the picture below? Good purchase for $20?

Amazon_parts.jpg

Excellent Buy!
Because they are so old and depending on where it was stored. Sometimes the grease inside the motor solidifies and it will not turn. This is a possibility depending on where it was stored. If so, you can just take it apart and remove old grease and reapply new grease. I am not saying this will happen to you I am just mentioning it as for something to look out for.

Last edited:
Excellent Buy!
Because they are so old and depending on where it was stored. Sometimes the grease inside the motor solidifies and it will not turn. This is a possibility depending on where it was stored. If so, you can just take it apart and remove old grease and reapply new grease. I am not saying this will happen to you I am just mentioning it as for something to look out for.

I really appreciate it and this was the type of information I was looking for. So as long as it spins when plugged in I should be good to go and replacement of grease shouldn't be too difficult?

Even if it spins, I would pop the cover and check to see if the grease has hardened up. It might turn but still be putting extra strain on the motor or not providing proper lubrication.

Even if it spins, I would pop the cover and check to see if the grease has hardened up. It might turn but still be putting extra strain on the motor or not providing proper lubrication.
May not have to but just out of curiosity, any specific type of grease I should purchase if needed?

Nothing special just plain old automotive chassis grease. If you don't regularly grease anything just buy a small container of what is commonly called Wheel Bearing Grease.

Excellent Buy!
I just did this on a new 9891 I picked up. It was new in the box and motor did not work. Take pics as you disassemble as it really helps with getting it back together. Take a look at the pic and you can tell the motor was new and that blob of grease was very hard.20210604_204008.jpg

Thanks for posting Joe I was looking for that thread and could not find it. Can you link it. I thought I had seen it before.

This was the thread but not any more info than is here.

I just did this on a new 9891 I picked up. It was new in the box and motor did not work. Take pics as you disassemble as it really helps with getting it back together. Take a look at the pic and you can tell the motor was new and that blob of grease was very hard.View attachment 32849
Great info Joe! I always get into it and forget to take pictures... Then comes regrets... thank you for the reminder haha

Drove an hour to pick it up to find out the motor wasn’t working :/ was abit bummed out. Lady gave it for free and said if I fix it, can Venmo the $20. Accepted her offer since I thought it would be fun to throw an attempt at it and if anything got it for free. The inside looked super clean but the grease seemed a bit thick. Cleaning it out and going to try new grease on all the gears. Hope it works out.

Drove an hour to pick it up to find out the motor wasn’t working :/ was abit bummed out. Lady gave it for free and said if I fix it, can Venmo the $20. Accepted her offer since I thought it would be fun to throw an attempt at it and if anything got it for free. The inside looked super clean but the grease seemed a bit thick. Cleaning it out and going to try new grease on all the gears. Hope it works out.
If you heard a humming sound when plugged in it should work after cleaning the old hard grease.

If you heard a humming sound when plugged in it should work after cleaning the old hard grease.
Think I do, I'll have to take it apart and see tomorrow.

Do you happen to know if any of the parts besides the bracket is stainless steel? I see a little bit of rust of the skewer. Any good way to treat it?

I see a little bit of rust of the skewer. Any good way to treat it?

Put a piece of meat on it and let it spin. It'll take care of itself.

I've had a rotisserie setup for a 22" kettle for quite a few years now. A couple of years back the motor went into a plastic bin that was inadvertently left out in the yard uncovered. A few days of rain later I realize my mistake, found it totally submerged. Let it dry out in the sun for a few days, plugged it in, no issues. Been working fine since. The motors seem to be pretty robust.

You could take a paper towel and soak it in vinegar, wrap it around the area, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for a day or 2 and it will be gone.

Lesson learned. Vinegar may have been a bit too strong for the skewer. It seems to have damaged the coating.

Going to take apart the motor now and hopefully nothing major.

Back