Weber 670 in the Rain

Hi..

Even after a call to Weber, they didnt tell me to take that black strip off the front so the doors would stay closed. A second call, the lady said quickly oh, take that black strip off..

I have a port butt cooking now (has been for the last 12 hours). The smoke box does loose a lot of smoke out the side of the grill like you said.

It rained a little last night while it was cooking and some rain go into the cabinet area.

I can keep the grill at 250 with burners 1 and 6 turned on or burner 1 and the smoker box.

Salmon is next after the pork butts come off. I am going to see if the person I am cooking them for can tell the difference since last time I used the WSM.

Here is my experience with the Summit in the rain. I have a S-420 that I bought last month. Here in Chicago, while not to Hurricane Ike levels, we are in the middle of one heck of a rainstorm. Since yesterday, we have gotten almost 6 inches of rain. I did have my grill covered with the Weber cover. I checked today and the grease trap was less than half full with rain water and part of that was undoubtedly the liquid that gathered when I cooked Roadside Chicken the other night. I guess my two cents is that as long as you keep it covered, rain will get in but barring a hurricane, unlikely that you will see it overflow. If you don't cover it, you may have an issue but it doesn't take that long to cool after using so I would be surprised to see this happen.

Bob

Has this rain issue been fixed by Weber in the 2009 grills ? am I safe if I always cover my grill with the Weber cover ?
Thanks

I spoke to weber CS today, they said a new grill cover was just made for these grills with NO VENTS at all. She said they are not going into the stores until store stock is depleted but can be bought through Weber directly but you must specify the NO VENT model.

Just a little update.I received the S670 last week as a birthday present (hey the big 40)
My wife had it assembled and delivered by the dealer while I was away , came out and there it was on the patio, she had picked up the 670 cover as well , with the 2 side vents .It poured a couple of days over the last week here in New Jersey, last night was really pouring ! I checked the grill this morning , NO WATER inside , so I think as long as you cover your grill you'll be fine

Back