Weber 304 stainless Genesis IIs

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
I haven't seen anyone post this, although I'm surprised, maybe my search skills are deficient.
I was curious when i had a salesman say that Weber made the LX line with 304 stainless. Also a member here mentioned that Weber went back to 304 due to corrosion. They have been advertising that the burners are, but have been silent to everything else. Not to say that this is the most important thing but it would put a + in the column for some of the newer webers.

So I went to Ace Hardware last night to check out the claim. Magnet in hand, I checked a bunch of parts on the grills.

Spirits- everything was magnet.

Genesis IIs- stainless tables were not magnetic. front of the grill by the burner knobs, not magnetic. Frame (which is painted steel) is magnetic obv.

Genesis II LXs- Stainless tables- not magnetic, front of the grill by the burner knobs, not magnetic. Hood, not magnetic, front of doors-not magnetic, back of doors, magnetic. Bit of a surprise- SS grates are magnetic.

Summit 470- All of the outside of the grill was magnetic, I didn't check the grates.

Now I'm not an expert on metal composition, but it was clear that the Summit and Spirit decidedly were magnetic and the Genesis IIs were not. I'm assuming the SS on the new Genesis IIs is 304 vs 430, or is something in between. I wonder if that is why the LX line is a bit more in price than last year's S-330s.

Looking at some of the construction, and mainly feeling the surfaces, giving them a shake test, the LX line definitely felt better put together than the standard Genesis II, especially the side tables. Granted, the side table on the Genesis II will probably last as long as the grill does, it just wasn't as solid as the LX line.

I've been deciding between the Summits, SE-410 and the S-440. I currently have a 12 year old Genesis in stainless which has held up nicely, I was concerned that if I got a stainless model, I'd be disappointed in durability. It sounds like the Genesis II line is OK from a stainless quality perspective. I have dismissed the Summits finally, too pricey to get the features and size I want and lower quality stainless to boot. Of the other 2, I really do like the crimson color, but I keep coming back to the S440. Although I have a hard time justifying the price difference completely, I may just close my eyes and buy it, it feels like a different grill than the standard SE-410, even though I bet they cook very similarly.

Im definitely someone who can't make decisions. However, I guess I finally made one and of course I always have second thoughts immediately.
however, i ordered Weber Genesis II LX S-440. They're working on delivery date of either tomorrow or Saturday. Although its more than I'd like to spend, its nice. I figure it costs me an extra $50-100 for every party I have for the next 2-3 years over and above what I "need", but thats OK.

Good to know at materials got a bump with new design. 430 on 300's shouldn't ever rust through but sure won't look as good in 10 years as 305

Back