Weber 26" vs 22" WSM

A kettle for grilling and a WSM for smoking is a great combination.

IMO, there's only two reasons to get the WSM 22 over the WSM 18:

1. The 22 works better than the 18 when used as a grill. Since you have a big 26 kettle with SNS and Vortex, this does not matter to you. You have a great tripped out, high capacity, grill already.

2. Ribs. The 22 lets you lay out 6 full slabs on two grates. If you like to cook a lot of ribs and you like to 321 wrap them, get the 22. Doing a lot of ribs on the 18 requires some kind of work-around -- rib racks, hanging, rolling, cutting, etc.

For other things you would cook, you'll rarely need the extra capacity. The 18 will do two briskets and like 4-6 pork butts. With the big 26 as a back-up smoker and grill, when would you ever really need more capacity? Do you often cater weddings?

Unless you really care about #2, get the 18. A 26 kettle plus a 22 WSM is a pretty ridiculous amount of overkill.

Last edited:
I currently have a 26" weber kettle. I grill and smoke on it. I have the vortex and the SNS and love them. I had a pellet grill but once I found charcoal I sold the pellet grill and have never looked back. Now question. Ive been looking at the 22" WSM for longer cooks like pork butt and briskets. Just trying to get opinions on if users of both would think it's worth having both?
20210731_103809.jpg

Since you have a 26 no reason not to get the larger wsm. Get the 22 you won't be sorry.

A kettle for grilling and a WSM for smoking is a great combination.

IMO, there's only two reasons to get the WSM 22 over the WSM 18:

1. The 22 works better than the 18 when used as a grill. Since you have a big 26 kettle with SNS and Vortex, this does not matter to you. You have a great tripped out, high capacity, grill already.

2. Ribs. The 22 lets you lay out 6 full slabs on two grates. If you like to cook a lot of ribs and you like to 321 wrap them, get the 22. Doing a lot of ribs on the 18 requires some kind of work-around -- rib racks, hanging, rolling, cutting, etc.

For other things you would cook, you'll rarely need the extra capacity. The 18 will do two briskets and like 4-6 pork butts. With the big 26 as a back-up smoker and grill, when would you ever really need more capacity? Do you often cater weddings?

Unless you really care about #2, get the 18. A 26 kettle plus a 22 WSM is a pretty ridiculous amount of overkill.
Until you factor in multiple meats and or sides. A 22 wsm isn't even big enough on it's own.

WSM 22 is all about the real estate & obviously the convenience, highy recommended! If you use the right charcoal & techniques it really doesn't consume a lot of fuel that some people fear.

Well so far this summer I've only used the WSM once. But the 26" kettle gets used a few times a week along with the griddle. I have a recteq 700 that I've only used twice this summer. The kettle is the easiest and most convenient to use. Csnt believe I went as long as a did without a kettle or a charcoal grill for that matter!

I have a 26" a Weber Kamado and a Traeger. I think I have my bases covered and plenty of cooking power. I have had to use all three on special occasions. The joy of cooking gives you reason to expand your collection.(y):blackkettle::summite6kamado:

The Smokey Mountain is a great compliment to a kettle. I think it's easier to maintain temperature on a long cook.

Last edited:
I currently have a 26" weber kettle. I grill and smoke on it. I have the vortex and the SNS and love them. I had a pellet grill but once I found charcoal I sold the pellet grill and have never looked back. Now question. Ive been looking at the 22" WSM for longer cooks like pork butt and briskets. Just trying to get opinions on if users of both would think it's worth having both?
You’ve made an excellent choice with the 26. It’s great for grilling and roomy enough for smoking most anything. Without hesitation run to your nearest Weber dealer and purchase the WSM 22! It will give you greater capacity for both protein, veggies, appetizers and fuel than your 26, especially when friends and family come by for a game day cookout.

I've had a WSM 22 for years now. It's an excellent smoker and like all of them it has eccentricities. It uses quite a bit of charcoal so it's not really suited for smaller cooks. Anything less than 5 pounds and I use my Performer for those. Temperature control can be tricky and it is slow to respond to temperature adjustments. It's just a size and inertia thing....

I installed a battery fan on mine, the PartyQ from BBQ Guru and I don't ever mess with the vents for temp control anymore. I do Christmas and Thanksgiving cooks for the family: 12-15 people and the WSM 22 doesn't even break a sweat. Great capacity. If you're mainly going to be cooking for 6 people or less go with the WSM 18. You can use the BBQ Guru fan with that one as well.

I have both, and yes! Get both. I hate not having enough capacity.

Ribs? Get a hanger! You can do 1-22 Racks on a 22"WSM!
Dont want to setup a WSM? Throw it on the 26"!
Brisket? Plenty of Room on the WSM.

I cook for a family of 6 and for Church so I regularly use these.

I do use lump exclusivly (Royal Oak) because I always run with a full load and then reuse the leftover on the next cook. Low ash too.
I just purchased the Arborfab basket for those longer cooks on the WSM 8 hours plus you will need more charcoal.

If it was me I’d probably get the 18. I have a 22 and have never really “needed” it. Plus it uses and lot more charcoal than an 18.

Back