Weber 22 Kettle Lid Question

Hotch VB

I just picked up a 22" kettle for a chicken cooker and noticed this wire in the lid. What is it purpose?
Kettle Lid Wire.jpg
Top.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's something to hang the lid on when it goes into the oven, after it's been sprayed with the porcelain enamel coating, to bake the porcelain on without leaving marks on the lid. Maybe they neglected to take it off after baking. Maybe @John Burns could weigh in here.

Looks like it was added on with that drilled hole by a previous owner.
James got the right idea, maybe something they hanged meat off of.

Yeah, if there is a drilled hole, it's something the PO added. Why don't you ask him/her?

I'm wondering if it's something to hang the lid on when it goes into the oven, after it's been sprayed with the porcelain enamel coating, to bake the porcelain on without leaving marks on the lid. Maybe they neglected to take it off after baking. Maybe @John Burns could weigh in here.
Sorry for the late reply on this!

This definitely would have been something that the previous owner did. They probably wanted to hang food from the wire (sausages, ribs, chicken, fish, etc.).

We don't do anything like what's pictured as part of our manufacturing process. We use the lid damper holes to hang the lids for the enameling process. That's why if you look closely at the edge of the lid damper holes one of them should have minor depressions in the enamel from where hooks were used to hold it during handling. #iworkforweber

Sorry for the late reply on this!

This definitely would have been something that the previous owner did. They probably wanted to hang food from the wire (sausages, ribs, chicken, fish, etc.).

We don't do anything like what's pictured as part of our manufacturing process. We use the lid damper holes to hang the lids for the enameling process. That's why if you look closely at the edge of the lid damper holes one of them should have minor depressions in the enamel from where hooks were used to hold it during handling. #iworkforweber
Thanks.

Back