Weber 22.5" vs Stok grill from Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my pair of Smokey Joes but am looking for something bigger. Right now Target has a 22.5" Weber Silver copper colored grill on sale for $69.99. I like Weber grills and have been using my Joes for some time. However Home Depot has this Stok grill for $99. It comes with cast iron grate, pizza stone and is kinda built like a performer. Has anybody used a Stok before? I like the fact it has the accessories with it, but then again Weber has the reputation. $100 bucks ain't much in the big picture but right now I would hate to waste it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
I love my pair of Smokey Joes but am looking for something bigger. Right now Target has a 22.5" Weber Silver copper colored grill on sale for $69.99. I like Weber grills and have been using my Joes for some time. However Home Depot has this Stok grill for $99. It comes with cast iron grate, pizza stone and is kinda built like a performer. Has anybody used a Stok before? I like the fact it has the accessories with it, but then again Weber has the reputation. $100 bucks ain't much in the big picture but right now I would hate to waste it. Any opinions would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen some of the Stok stuff and it looks pretty cool, but I've never used it. If you get it, I hope you report back on your experience.

Having said that, have you checked Craigslist lately? Right now, silvers are EVERYWHERE around here on CL. I bet you could get one for 25 bucks pretty easy if you were not averse to buying used.

You know what your getting with the kettle. I was ready to say just get the kettle but after watching the demo vid on home depot, the stok grill is also porcelian coated plus you get all the rack inserts. May be a good deal. If you don't like it you can always pick up a kettle off craigslist or just buy a new keetle and you can use all the inserts.

Brian Brian Brian.......... Real men use Webers and eat with pocket knives!

Get the "Copperhead" and keep the faith my brother!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Brian Brian Brian.......... Real men use Webers and eat with pocket knives!

Get the "Copperhead" and keep the faith my brother!
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who knows I may get both and a new pocket knife. I might even go crazy and invest in a spork!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Boldt:
I was looking at the Stok product @ HD, I was impressed at what you get for the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how good the grill is but their cast iron grates work really well
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...9023/m/728102136/p/5

However Home Depot has this Stok grill for $99. It comes with cast iron grate, pizza stone and is kinda built like a performer. Has anybody used a Stok before? I like the fact it has the accessories with it, but then again Weber has the reputation. $100 bucks ain't much in the big picture but right now I would hate to waste it. Any opinions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen the performer clone yet except for a flash by on the stokgrills.com website saying "coming soon", it's not in our HD yet or on the HD website

So I went with the 22.5" Weber 'copper' silver. I will put it together and do a first cook on it on Friday. I am still tempted to get a Stok also for the ci grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
So I went with the 22.5" Weber 'copper' silver. I will put it together and do a first cook on it on Friday. I am still tempted to get a Stok also for the ci grate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good going brian!

i looked at the stok, and the only thing i liked better was i think it was taller. other then that i would take a weber over it any day of the week!! plus the chimney/ash catcher seemed kind of cheesy as did the top vent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob_Fox:
Are those stok grills made in the USA? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not think about that until you posted that. From searching the internet I cannot find the answer. I found that STOK stands for Special Technologies in Outdoor Kitchens (I rolled my eyes when I read that...). They are owned by Techtronic Industries North America. They also own Ryobi and Homelite. So I dunno. The only thing I have found in my research is that the Stok grills don't seal well so you can't close the vents to put out the charcoal. Also the lids will fall off and the wheels are flimsy. But people do like the cast iron grate.

I have seen a Stok charcoal grill and gas grill at my local Homedepot, as suspected cheaply made the gas grill worse than the charcoal grill. I compared the lid weight of the stok vs weber not even close, that told me everything i needed to know. I just do not see any longevity in these stok grills, the company here today gone tomorrow.

I think u made the right choice Brian! I have owned a few different grills thus far in my life... And have come to the conclusion that all the "extras" u get with all those cheap grills is just more "junk" to throw out in a year or two when the fall apart before ur eyes
icon_wink.gif
I have never been a happier griller than I am now that I have moved onto weber! And, so far I have converted 3 others to go from the cheap gassers to very cost effective weber charcoals... They have all thanked me with a full tummy of yummy food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back