Weather Changes & the WSM

Kurtis Felker

I have been using my new WSM since January 2007. I have a pretty good routine for cold weather smoking (Snowed again today)doing ribs,roast & chicken with great results. As the weather warms up, what are the things I should look out for? Will a lower temperature be difficult to obtain? Use less charcoal? Will meat be be done quicker? Any tips would be greatly appreciated so I know what to expect.

Bring it up to temp slowly and you should be able to maintain your temp useing just the bottom vents, Just remember that it's easier to control temp on the way up than it is to bring it down after it's to high.

While I don't live in a climate that gets as cold as yours, I've noticed very little difference between cooking in very cold temps (which to me is below 40F) and very warm (110+ degrees F).

It's wind that messes things up.

You really shouldn't notice much difference. As stated above wind is always your enemy although much less so in warm or hot weather. I use sand year round and as also just stated - control your temps on the way up with the bottom vents. Now that it is getting warmer I can go back to the hand method of determining lid temp. Usually I can tell temp with my hand within 5 degrees or so. Not in the winter. But the cover does come in handy to keep my beer from freezing in the winter.

Back