WD 40

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All,

Glad I found this discussion board /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just inherited a smoker from my disgruntled grill-type-brother-in-law, it's not really in bad condition but I guess he have let it lay on its side in the ground for some time.

The bolts were rusted, the charcoal grate is rusted, some edges of the body itself is rusted. I've cleaned it up really good and degrease the cooking grates and almost have it sparkling if not for the rust.

Can I use WD 40 to remove the rust from the bolts and the edges?

Thanks for the reply /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hi Nick!

Welcome to Q!!

You should be fine. I might suggest doing a nice hot burn before cooking any food. That way you will be sure to burn off any yucky stuff.

Just fire up a chimney of coals and dump them in...leave everything inside and let 'er cook.

Don't use WD40 on the smoker. If anything you can use Brillo or SOS pad and remove a lot more rust. Then do what Kevin (Stogie) says and run a smoke session through it nice and hot. You can rub it down with cooking oil (peanut or some other type of higher temp cooking oil) before you run it the first time.

Get a nice coating of smoke on her and then after a few smokes the lovely patina of barbecue smoke, grease and soot will finish her off nicely.

WD40 will do nothing but poison you.

Thanks Guys, I knew I should ask before spraying it with wd40 /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back