way to hot, what was I thinking

Well since the original topic referred to cooking on a kettle, I'm making an assumption here, I was posting in reference to that. It really doesn't help a guy out discussing another piece of equipment. I'm sure the WSM works just fine cooking RSC but if the guy doesn't have one what good is it to tell him how to do it?

Another thing I've found while doing RSC on my kettle is that when basting a lot you can actual drown your coals and put them out. By starting with a whole chimney and banking the coals to one side it allows you to pull down more coals into your cooking zone when you need them.

Sorry, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and haven't had a coffee yet.

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Well since the original topic referred to cooking on a kettle, I'm making an assumption here, I was posting in reference to that. It really doesn't help a guy out discussing another piece of equipment. I'm sure the WSM works just fine cooking RSC but if the guy doesn't have one what good is it to tell him how to do it?

Another thing I've found while doing RSC on my kettle is that when basting a lot you can actual drown your coals and put them out. By starting with a whole chimney and banking the coals to one side it allows you to pull down more coals into your cooking zone when you need them.

Sorry, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and haven't had a coffee yet.

Hah there's no wrong side of the bed here. The fact that I was asked if the pan is out or in tells me there's a WSM available
icon_smile.gif

Your points Bob are well taken and there never was any offense!

I've cooked this recipe a bunch on WSM and Kettle/Performer.

I've seen the "drowning of the coals" on the kettle/performer that you mention. And it's one of the reasons I moved over time to doing this recipe exclusively on the WSM, just me. I did this cook on the Performer as you mention, it was just so much more "hectic" especially if I was doing a larger cook. Distance from the fire was a "breath of fresh air" in that sense.

One of the things I hate about Weber kettles is that there's no food grate/fuel grate level height adjustment in the design. Yeah you compensate by doing tiered coals, but we all know that's not the same as being able to simply adjust food grate level above the fire and that technique doesn't replace it. It's a workaround IMHO.

In another discussion I would take the debate in favor of the Char Griller Pro as a better grill over all than a Weber Kettle. Just because of that issue as one example. I won't labor that here. If I still had that unit I would cook roadside on that.

The coals won't drown using the WSM as described since there is so much more fuel engaged, unless that is by simple virtue of me using lump, which is speculation. It will all burn off, it will, could drop temps temporarily with the WSM method, but the engaged fuel/load will recover where it might not on the kettle/performer.

Have to remember that Bryan Stephan's who posted this recipe cooked exclusively (or for the most part) on an 18" WSM. He grilled, smoked, baked, did everything on it. I don't know that he even had a grill or kettle, just the WSM when he posted. If he's watching he will smack me with the truth but that's my recollection.

If you haven't met him - he's a special guy and I miss his posts. Would like to take a run with him on our Harleys down to MD for some pit beef and a tri tip run if he ever comes back (or is watching).
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I' not an expert, not pretending to be and pretty hard to offend, since this is all about fun for me. Let's toss a couple back sometime. I love Canada!

Down here in SW PA there's a large community of Amish (Lancaster County). If you take a nice drive through that country you will find their version of RSC throwing up smoke. I call it "road food" my wife thus calls it "dangerous food" as she thinks I shouldn't be eating chicken on my lap while driving and she's probably right. But the pont is Bryan was living in Lancaster county when he posted and was certainly influenced by it.

And if I had to make a bet - he cooked it on his WSM classic, I.E. - 18 inch. And that is what influenced me way back then.

C'mon Bryan - if you're watching speak up!

Interesting read - thanks for posting.
I've tried this twice on the kettle because that was my impression of how it was intended, but didn't have alot of luck chasing the flames. I know many have done it on the kettle/performer to great sucess (at least judging by photos), but I now want to do it over the WSM, as I think this will allow me to get the flavor without the char.
Can't wait to try.

Peter

Back